Alternator charging on starter battery.

Graham Jones

VIP Member
T6 Guru
My T6.1 van was ordered by the converters, from VW , with no 2nd battery. The converters fit their own leisure battery (Lifepo4) and DC/solar charging system (Projecta IDC25X) and Victron BlueSmart Charger. The whole leisure system is completely separate from VW starter battery,
Luckily, the van came from VW with no Adblue and no Stop/start, and so, no Smart alternator.....high fives all round.!!
My question is, does the alternator charge the starter battery, separate of the leisure system,therefore, allowing as many amps needed, or is it regulated by the DC charger, which is maximum 25amps when charging leisure battery?
I have no problem with the way it is working,,,I am just interested in knowing how it works.
Thanks and cheers.

If you have a DC-DC charger your electric systems are essentially independent.

The DC-DC charger just appears to the van as another high current device similar to your heated windows or heated seats.

If you have a DC-DC charger your electric systems are essentially independent.

The DC-DC charger just appears to the van as another high current device similar to your heated windows or heated seats.
Thanks for that Roadtripper...I can now understand how it works....cheers.

My T6.1 van was ordered by the converters, from VW , with no 2nd battery. The converters fit their own leisure battery (Lifepo4) and DC/solar charging system (Projecta IDC25X) and Victron BlueSmart Charger. The whole leisure system is completely separate from VW starter battery,
Luckily, the van came from VW with no Adblue and no Stop/start, and so, no Smart alternator.....high fives all round.!!
My question is, does the alternator charge the starter battery, separate of the leisure system,therefore, allowing as many amps needed, or is it regulated by the DC charger, which is maximum 25amps when charging leisure battery?
I have no problem with the way it is working,,,I am just interested in knowing how it works.
Thanks and cheers.
Hang on!!! t6.1, no Ad-blue, no stop/start, no Smart alternator. Something doesn't add up.

scrub that, you're in OZ, lucky fella :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
yes I could'nt believe my luck...VW had shortages of various components at time of build and my T6.1 was spared those "extras".
I found out when I first looked at van and noticed no Stop/Start button... then went around and saw no Adblue filler....asked the salesman and he rang VW to find out why. Still smiling as my T6 did'nt have Adblue and I had been put off buying T6.1 for that reason......no Stop/start too was just another reason to change...not that I needed much pushing once I saw the Conversion. still smiling. Cheers.

Reactions: CAB
Interesting build, would you mind sharing your vin with me and i will double check the specs

Interesting build, would you mind sharing your vin with me and i will double check the specs
Yes Pauly..I messaged you with that around 25th. Jan.2024.
You kindly sent me the build sheet...it verifies my findings.Thanks again for that..Cheers.
Interesting build, would you mind sharing your vin with me and i will double check the spec.

Back