Daily runner upgrades on a budget

Jay Andrews

Hi,

Currently I have a standard VW T6 Kombi (lowered with alloys) which I use mainly as a weekend day tripper beach. Mountain biking etc.

Due to work changes I now need to make more regular extended commutes.

Therefore I am considering either an exchange for a more comfortable and economical daily commuter (golf etc) or do some enhancements to make the daily commute more pleasurable in the van.

What modification do you consider essential for a daily commuter? Lights, audio, sound deading etc.

Keen on sound proofing, carpeting etc. but unsure how much of a difference it will make to the experience and if it warrants the cost.

All thoughts and inputs appreciated.

Br
Jase

My van is my daily driver, mainly motorway miles. Everything I've done to it has been to make it more pleasant to drive and practical to use.

Sound deadening and and sound proofing are a must, but easily done by yourself and not massively expensive. There are plenty of alternative materials available on Ebay etc, that are a fraction of the price of the branded stuff, and just as effective. I did spend quite a bit on the suspension but it was worth it, and alloys, but only 18's. I've upgraded the speakers, and fitted a powered sub under the drivers seat. Again a massive improvement, but you can spend £100-thousands on ICE, it's up to you.

Start with the sound proofing, and see how you go.

What sort of commute are you talking about? Hours on the motorway, or town traffic? Day time or night time?

In what way is your van lacking? Comfort, noise, crappy headlights?

My previous car was a Skoda superb with full leather, and all the bells and whistles, top of the range model. I'd happily drive 10hrs and 500 miles from Kent to Scotland with only 2 stops.

My current T6 is a Caravelle which is easily as comfortable as the Skoda, if not more, due to the seating position being kinder on the legs.

The caravelle is like any T6 underneath, but has extra sound deadening and insulation, nice half leather/half alcantara seats with arm rests, thick carpets, adaptive cruise control, factory LED headlights which make night driving a breeze.

Economy - I used to get 50-55mpg on a long run from my Skoda. I'll get 40-45mpg from the T6 sitting at 65-70mph on the motorway so really not that different.

So yes, definitely possible to make what is, at the end of the day, a van - into something much more car-like in its comfort, noise level, and spec.

I haven't done anything with the std audio yet, but it's on the list - it would make long distance trips even more enjoyable.

I've just remembered ! Have you got the crappy standard H4 headlights? Osram Nightbreakers, £20 ish, best bang for buck upgrade there is IMO.

Yes I have…it’s like driving by candle light!!
Not long ago, I was in my T6, following a newish car, can't remember what - at night, down a 60mph unlit A road. I was trying to figure out why they were driving so slow, ie 40mph in a 60. Then I saw their headlights... Or, the lack of. It was like 2 dimly lit orange candles at the front of the car!

I am SO glad I made LED headlights a must have for my van, unfortunately they're not an easy or cheap upgrade to get the factory OEM LED'S. Quite literally a night and day difference...

Hopefully a bulb upgrade will be a decent upgrade but that's about all you can do if you've got the std lights. H7 upgrade maybe? And you could put in Lazer lights, but they're only useful on full beam.

What sort of commute are you talking about? Hours on the motorway, or town traffic? Day time or night time?

In what way is your van lacking? Comfort, noise, crappy headlights?

My previous car was a Skoda superb with full leather, and all the bells and whistles, top of the range model. I'd happily drive 10hrs and 500 miles from Kent to Scotland with only 2 stops.

My current T6 is a Caravelle which is easily as comfortable as the Skoda, if not more, due to the seating position being kinder on the legs.

The caravelle is like any T6 underneath, but has extra sound deadening and insulation, nice half leather/half alcantara seats with arm rests, thick carpets, adaptive cruise control, factory LED headlights which make night driving a breeze.

Economy - I used to get 50-55mpg on a long run from my Skoda. I'll get 40-45mpg from the T6 sitting at 65-70mph on the motorway so really not that different.

So yes, definitely possible to make what is, at the end of the day, a van - into something much more car-like in its comfort, noise level, and spec.

I haven't done anything with the std audio yet, but it's on the list - it would make long distance trips even more enjoyable.
Hi mate.
Mixed day trips predominantly country A roads, between 1-2 hours.

Obviously in winter months the current candle lights are problematic.

Other than that it’s mainly noise and acoustics! It’s quite loud over extended period. It has still got bulkhead in and no kind of insulation.

I appreciate it’s a van but your post has helped convince me with a little investment I can have the best of both worlds…cheers.

Hi mate.
Mixed day trips predominantly country A roads, between 1-2 hours.

Obviously in winter months the current candle lights are problematic.

Other than that it’s mainly noise and acoustics! It’s quite loud over extended period. It has still got bulkhead in and no kind of insulation.

I appreciate it’s a van but your post has helped convince me with a little investment I can have the best of both worlds…cheers.
Whereabouts are you? I'm sure you could find a friendly forum member with either a well insulated van or a caravelle/California to take you out and show you what's possible with these vans.

My van is definitely not loud, it's probably about the same for road or wind noise as my old car on the motorway.

If you've browsed this forum at all, you'll start to realise some members spend thousands getting the "look" or whatever, and you could turn your van into a limousine like vehicle (Air suspension , leather, top of the range ICE ), but there are many things you can do to improve the experience without breaking the bank. I have, and I'm a tight Yorkshireman, who's done over 250k in transporters. Maybe you should change the title to include " on a budget".

Whereabouts are you? I'm sure you could find a friendly forum member with either a well insulated van or a caravelle/California to take you out and show you what's possible with these vans.

My van is definitely not loud, it's probably about the same for road or wind noise as my old car on the motorway.
Lincolnshire mate

If you've browsed this forum at all, you'll start to realise some members spend thousands getting the "look" or whatever, and you could turn your van into a limousine like vehicle (Air suspension , leather, top of the range ICE ), but there are many things you can do to improve the experience without breaking the bank. I have, and I'm a tight Yorkshireman, who's done over 250k in transporters. Maybe you should change the title to include " on a budget".
Great idea @Scruffy if only I could see where to edit titles….

Your wish is my command :thumbsup:
Have you a new job @Bav? Just spied You're a moderator now! Def things you can do to make van more enjoyable on a budget. Lots of great suggestions above. Have a look at For Sale adds too. Some good offers on suspension and alloys etc!

Back