Having a nightmare buying a van!

AYRGUNN

Hello all and thanks for looking. I have been looking for a van now for quite some time and in the past few months I have even sent the AA out to view the vans for me at a cost of 200 pounds each visit. The problem is the report I get from the AA highlights things that the seller has not be honest with. My most recent one was from a garage which took 500 pounds deposit and I also forked out for 200 AA visit. The van was a goer until I got the AA report back which had at leaset 8 inspected items in the red. The garage had just put the Van through MOT a few days before the AA visit but the AA found a major safety concern regarding power steering fluids and leaking from bottom of the van. This made me loose confidence in the purchase as I cant get over it passing an Mot and them happy for me to drive the van away with my family in it who were going to pick it up with me. I asked for my deposit back but got the answer all deposits are non refundable so as it stands 700 down for a van I havent even seen myself. Any advice regarding this situation? Surely this is not on?

The van was just sub £30,000

I don’t think banks refund automatically without a sales contract to verify the details.

I will give them a chance to do the right thing and then if not they will be getting it both barrels, why is it so hard just to be decent and honest these days!!! I despair!
You paid the deposit and entered into a contract to buy the van based on their information regarding its good condition, which you have evidence of in their advert.
Your AA report proves that the information provided by the seller was incorrect. The van is not as described. Your obligation to complete the transaction is null and void.
They are scammers, they cannot legally withhold your deposit, don't let them get away with this. The small claims court would find in your favour based on what you have told us.

If you buy online or over the phone, you have more protection than if you walked into the showroom. Look up Distance purchase rights, I’ve had to do it with Vw main dealer, got full refund, obviously doesn’t work with private sellers.
Get your money back from this garage.
Think you have 14 or 30 days. Don’t hang around

The motor ombudsman may be able to assist you.

I am surprised the garage didn't offer to rectify to faults identified by the AA inspection to secure the sale to you, that would be enough to put me off dealing with them.

I am only repeating the above. Before paying a deposit you will have verbally agreed in principle with the seller that completion of the purchase would only take place following a satisfactory report from the AA. The seller agreed to the AA inspection which subsequently found faults.
You can then ask for the faults to be rectified. If the seller refuses then you are entitled to a refund of the deposit. The seller is not being reasonable or honest in withholding your deposit. My course of action would be to identify the directors and issue a 14 day notice of intention to commence legal proceedings in the small claims court. Good Luck.

Back