Installing a lock on the double passenger underseat store

GruB

VIP Member
T6 Guru
When my van was converted the double passenger seat was fitted onto a Kiravans swivel however there is no locking mechanism to stop the seat base from being opened.
Has anyone added a lock?
We may need to take a MacBook on our travels and I wanted to try and ensure it is as safe as possible within the van.
I would like to lock the box down but will also add a lock and cable into the Mac to prevent it being removed even if the seat is opened.

Are some of the seats bolts for the double common with the single? Just wondering if you could actually fit one of the single seat safes under one side of it?

In the days of insecure wooden sheds and a ground anchor I used two Abus Gold Secure D-Locks to keep the cycles safe.
Using the longer of the two I have placed it either side of the middle strut support of the double passenger underseat storage area.
Using 4mm wire rope I made two loops, one for each arm of the D-Lock and threaded the wire into the steel base of the seat cushion at the back.
Looping the wire rope over the arms can only be done when the seat is nearly closed as they are tight when in situ.
The two locking arms protrude in the gap between seat underside and the rear metal plate, allowing for the Abus lock to be secured on both.
The picture of just the seat shows how little movement there is when you try and open it.
I have also put some trim carpet at the front of the underseat that overlaps at the top so even if you get your hand in there (child) you can't see or feel anything but carpet.
We now have a safe place in the van.
*To Do - ask Mrs G to crotchet a nicer cover for the lock when we are away.
tempImagebbNVFL.jpgtempImagee76qtP.jpgtempImage0JKk4d.jpgtempImage1xYhMH.jpgtempImageXSiZQk.jpg

Back