OEM > Coilover vs Coilover > Coilover on a T30

t6blo

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Currently got STX coilover kit on my T30.

When fitting them, I had to remove the driveshaft from the wheel bearing/hub because there is not enough drop on the lower arm to get the OEM strut/spring out.

This was the hardest/heaviest bit and I really struggled.

Thinking of changing to SoLows - probably NSL which will give me 70-95mm vs current STX wound right down which only gives about 65mm.

As the STX strut is much shorter than the OEM strut/spring, will I be able to leave the hub/driveshaft connected and just use the drop of the lower arm and now have enough room to get it out?

You’re sure you’re not going the long route to what will eventually be Air, right?

I’d like a lower look than what the STX give but fear it’d bring along other issues that come with static lows & then mean £1300 down the drain just to end up on Air anyway.

You’re sure you’re not going the long route to what will eventually be Air, right?

I’d like a lower look than what the STX give but fear it’d bring along other issues that come with static lows & then mean £1300 down the drain just to end up on Air anyway.
Hmmm, not considered air actually although vans sitting on the chassis look good :thumbsup:

Hmmm, not considered air actually although vans sitting on the chassis look good :thumbsup:
Tough one isn’t it.

I genuinely think if I went (like I have) from stock to 65mm & then forked out again for another 30mm lower, then that’d end up not being enough as well. Along with other concerns over ride quality & catching my splitter on stuff. Just felt like i was making a mistake considering it, hence my initial comment.

Ultimately, if it isn’t the best version of any certain product (imo), I know it’ll bug the hell out of me until it is.

First world problems, I know :rolleyes:

I'm currently on step 2 of the 3 step journey to air :D

I started with B14's already on my van when i bought it, then i lowered them all the way down but it still wasn't low enough (and the ride was terrible). I am now on Solow Low's, with the rears all the way down, front's almost at full height but with machined top mounts. The ride is really good despite being approx 120mm down all round and is much better than the b14's were.

Ultimately I know i am going to air, I just cant afford to spend the £££ on it at this moment in time. The solow's will keep me happy for a while and hopefully they will still have good residual value when I come to sell them further down the line. I think if you invest in solow's it wont be money down the drain as you will be able to sell them on and make a big chunk of your outlay back.

That being said if air is your end goal and you can afford it now, I would say do it and you should never need to think about it again

That’s a fair point about resale value. It would be a wedge less money back than the initial outlay obviously, but offset again somewhat if you can fit yourself like @t6blo is.

As great as the the STX are, if I’d have saved that money up to now, id probably be in a position where I could have done it. That’s the annoying thing about hindsight being 20/20 I guess.

Always handy to put down the personal experiences on here (the good decisions & the bad) to help others make an informed choice though.

Tough one isn’t it.

I genuinely think if I went (like I have) from stock to 65mm & then forked out again for another 30mm lower, then that’d end up not being enough as well. Along with other concerns over ride quality & catching my splitter on stuff. Just felt like i was making a mistake considering it, hence my initial comment.

Ultimately, if it isn’t the best version of any certain product (imo), I know it’ll bug the hell out of me until it is.

First world problems, I know :rolleyes:

I'm currently on step 2 of the 3 step journey to air :D

I started with B14's already on my van when i bought it, then i lowered them all the way down but it still wasn't low enough (and the ride was terrible). I am now on Solow Low's, with the rears all the way down, front's almost at full height but with machined top mounts. The ride is really good despite being approx 120mm down all round and is much better than the b14's were.

Ultimately I know i am going to air, I just cant afford to spend the £££ on it at this moment in time. The solow's will keep me happy for a while and hopefully they will still have good residual value when I come to sell them further down the line. I think if you invest in solow's it wont be money down the drain as you will be able to sell them on and make a big chunk of your outlay back.

That being said if air is your end goal and you can afford it now, I would say do it and you should never need to think about it again

That’s a fair point about resale value. It would be a wedge less money back than the initial outlay obviously, but offset again somewhat if you can fit yourself like @t6blo is.

As great as the the STX are, if I’d have saved that money up to now, id probably be in a position where I could have done it. That’s the annoying thing about hindsight being 20/20 I guess.

Always handy to put down the personal experiences on here (the good decisions & the bad) to help others make an informed choice though.

I’m not sure I could justify dropping £5k on air suspension so static is probably my limit. Having said that I’d not even want it so low on static that I’d have to notch things or raise subframes etc.

SoLow low (the original) start at 95mm and goto 125mm so I actually believe that would be too low for me.

As nice as the STX are I wish I’d spent that extra 400ish quid on SoLows

I’m not sure I could justify dropping £5k on air suspension so static is probably my limit. Having said that I’d not even want it so low on static that I’d have to notch things or raise subframes etc.

SoLow low (the original) start at 95mm and goto 125mm so I actually believe that would be too low for me.

As nice as the STX are I wish I’d spent that extra 400ish quid on SoLows
Definitely agree mate it’s a huge outlay. The NSL might well do the trick for you. Definitely an improvement in looks.

The STX for me are the most practical other than Air, as I’m on all sorts of sites, driveways & up/down kerbs all day. So when I gave my brief to the installers, they delivered on what was most appropriate for the budget. No arguments there at all.

Buyers regret is a horrible feeling. Could I justify Air for the cost? Not really no. But i know it’s the only thing that’ll satisfy the itch.

Footy Accumulator might come in one of these days, ya never know :slow rofl:

Air certainly gives comfort and lows with the benefit of being able to adjust at the drop of the hat. SoLow kit is superb no matter which kit you buy.

Currently got STX coilover kit on my T30.

When fitting them, I had to remove the driveshaft from the wheel bearing/hub because there is not enough drop on the lower arm to get the OEM strut/spring out.

This was the hardest/heaviest bit and I really struggled.

Thinking of changing to SoLows - probably NSL which will give me 70-95mm vs current STX wound right down which only gives about 65mm.

As the STX strut is much shorter than the OEM strut/spring, will I be able to leave the hub/driveshaft connected and just use the drop of the lower arm and now have enough room to get it out?
You might be able to get the shorter ST-X strut out and the NSL strut back in without removing the hub, but it's much easier if you do. Manhandling the full weight of the lower arm, hub, brakes etc back onto the strut as one assy is pretty heavy work. I remove the brake caliper, then get the hub off and find it much easier that way. I do have the advantage of a ramp in the workshop though, which makes things much easier of course. NSL is a great balance of practical lows and ride quality, so definitely worth the upgrade to get the van that bit lower.

If you don't fancy the hard work of doing it yourself, use a SoLow approved installer and you'll get a 2 year warranty rather than the 1 year if you DIY.

Definitely agree mate it’s a huge outlay. The NSL might well do the trick for you. Definitely an improvement in looks.

The STX for me are the most practical other than Air, as I’m on all sorts of sites, driveways & up/down kerbs all day. So when I gave my brief to the installers, they delivered on what was most appropriate for the budget. No arguments there at all.

Buyers regret is a horrible feeling. Could I justify Air for the cost? Not really no. But i know it’s the only thing that’ll satisfy the itch.

Footy Accumulator might come in one of these days, ya never know :slow rofl:

When that accumulator come in, give me a shout at the cave. I'm only just over an hour from you by the looks of it and have lots of options for air installation depending on the specific needs. 4 different options for bags and struts and 3 different manufacturers with a total of 5 different options for management.

When that accumulator come in, give me a shout at the cave. I'm only just over an hour from you by the looks of it and have lots of options for air installation depending on the specific needs. 4 different options for bags and struts and 3 different manufacturers with a total of 5 different options for management.
I am due an Acca win. Been waiting about 15 years since my last one :rofl:

Need those new THQ T6 Full LED Headlights to land soon ;)

Back