‘Protect’ LED on Focal Amp Impulse 4.32

Vinyl1210

Hi All.
Done a quick search but can’t find anything. Bought the Focal 165’s and Impulse Amp from AbsoluT5 a few weeks ago and just got round to connecting the amp. AbsoluT5 very kindly made me up the ‘patch loom’ between Head Unit and Amp fir me so should be ‘plug and play’. After dismantling the dash, just connected the amp but getting the ‘Protect’ LED lit and no sound. Speakers have been in a week with no issues via head unit on their own and sounds great so it’s not the speakers. (AFAIK).
Disconnected the patch and speakers work fine with original loom plugged back in.
I’m competent with a DVM so I’m just swinging through the patch AbsoluT5 made up to see if there is a short or crossed connection. ( it happens - I should know - so no worries).
Just thought I’d ask if anyone has had the same thing or I’m missing something with the head unit that I have to do to synch it all.
I’ll pop back to AbsoluT5 or call them Monday as I’m only down the road, but was hoping to get it sorted over weekend so I can crack on with the sound deadening to the cab etc etc.
BTW it’s a ‘72 plate T6.1 with standard head unit. No Nav.
Thanks in advance. Rob.

Update after a bit of quick thinking/research the most common cause of the ‘Protect’ function activating is a dead short on the outputs (ie speakers). Pretty sure it wasn’t my install but though I’d double check (again). Been out this morning:

1. Utilising the OEM 52 Pin Quad Lock checked for short on van speaker loom ( with speakers fitted) Correct 3-4 ohm impedance on Left and Right with no short or polarity error.
2 Attached supplied patch loom and checked for any dead shorts incase upon connection the patch loom was faulty. (Again doubted as AbsoluT5 made it up for me, but checked anyway). Again all good.
3. Only thing left was the amp. Checked on the O/P pins on the amp and discovered a dead short between Front Left -ve and Front Right +ve.
4. With power off and Quad lock disconnected at head unit, this is confirmed with dead short between pins A2 and A7 (FL - to FR +).

So my view is its the Amp with a fault from factory. Bit annoying as I’ve got half my van dash strewn across the house but…It happens. May we’ll be a strand of wire or solder on the PCB connector on the amp (I’ve seen it before) but I’m not prepared to open it as it’s just supplied and under warranty.

I’ll pop it back tomorrow.

Just posted the above as it may assist someone with a similar issue and give an idea on the fault finding process. (Or not).

Cheers.

Back