102PS potential with remap

Hi everyone, newbie here. I have a 2019 start line conversion with a business pack. The engine is a steady trundler with fairly low mpg (spec in the first pic below). The can has done 90k with cambelt and pump replaced at 80k.

There are others out there a bit older which have more power AND better mpg. I appreciate that the second picture below is a bluemotion but could my van be remapped to be the same or am I best just leaving well alone and loving it as it is?

Thanks!

IMG_2080.png

IMG_2081.png

There’s a fair few threads on remapping a 102 power van - I’ve quoted some salient posts from the six or so threads I found.

Hi People, I recently had my 3 1/2 year old T6 Euro 6 102ps re-mapped with a Quantum Tuning map by a highly recommended and accredited mapping guy. I had the full power, up to 170ps map so was expecting great things. The van drove fine after re-mapping, but I was hard pushed to sense a big gain. It seemed a little more spritely in the mid range. I questioned this with the mapping guy and he assured me all was fine. The next day the van died with no prior indication anything was wrong. A local garage diagnosed turbo failure. I mentioned the re-map as it was out of warranty and naively thought his would help them with diagnostics. The local garage re-placed the turbo and fixed everything else trashed by oil being sucked in to the inlet tract. The van was test driven around the block by a mechanic. I paid my £2.2k and collected van and drove off down the road. A couple of miles later the new turbo failed catastrophically as I got into third gear. This time even more of the engine oil seems to have been drawn in to the inlet tract and gone down the exhaust as the new turbo expired. The local garage have now washed their hands of getting involved saying they believe the turbo failures were down to the mapping. I'm not convinced this is the case. They are also saying their warranty is void due to the re-mapping. They even sneakily put this on the invoice as I was settling up without mentioning it - although legally I do not believe it will hold any water because they cannot demonstrate I signed up to accept the liability - which I obviously wouldn't have. The mapping guy made it clear that for whatever reason the original VW map can easily be re-instated if requited.

Now I'm between a very big rock and a hard place as I rely on using this van for work. It's dead, they have my money and I'm back where I started. VW quoted £5k which is why I used the local garage.

Does anyone have a view on this in respect of the likelihood that a re-map could so easily fail the turbo?

It smacks of the local garage being out of their depth and not properly diagnosing the cause of the initial failure and therefore not fixing it and then trying to cover themselves with the warranty voiding statement on the invoice.

This engine is good for that increase. Remember the 102ps engine is a detuned 140 but with a 5 speed gearbox. Maps have to take the gearbox into account, and keep torque increases down. One of my favourite maps on the euro5 102ps.
With regards to the fault are there any warning lights? I’m sure it will be easy to diagnose by the map company.

I've had a remap on my van just over a year, although I'm very happy with the performance I've never been happy with fuel economy. I get around 400 Miles on a full tank. 102 5 speed. remap to around 170bhp. I have used a reputable company for this just wondering what sort of fuel economy everyone else is getting running the same van?

I have a pendle map on my 102 and it is great. Pendle used to be the only reliable way to map them. That may have changed.
I went to a place that was actually/fortunately conveniently local and they had a rolling road. So I have graphs from before and after and the guy was great and the van is night and day better to drive.
I believe they always at least Road test and the maps get adjusted by a diagnostic log.
Good luck. I can recommend the Pendle agent in Havant if you come down this way.

Take a look at this video from Pendle talking about the map for that engine.

Have a convo with @Dav-Tec and search for 102 remap threads and his reviews. Myself and a few on here have used his services for bespoke remap on a 5 speed 102, focused on driveability than chasing bhp. Been really happy with the results and I was really in two minds after hearing problems with Revo and Pendle remaps.

I haven’t linked you to any posts on remapping a 150 as your post indicates you currently own the 102..

The 150 engine is a newer and more refined motor, hence the MPG increase, but that’s because of the AdBlue addition - which comes with its own pitfalls.

Ignore the BlueMotion name, that’s a misnomer that they all had AdBlue - the Euro5 engines didn’t, but they still got badged up with BlueMotion.

Thanks all. I’ll have a look through those threads in more detail tonight.

Does anybody have a view on what would be a sensible remap for MPG and general drivability? Not too bothered about speed.

Back