• 235/65 r17 cc SUV 69db

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other r17

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nonumb

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all, I currently have Claytons with hankook 205/65s on my t32 T6. These are approaching the end of their life.

On my other cars I've recently been fitting cross climate 2s and generally been very happy.

I the T6 I'm primarily concerned with noise and comfort but obviously want a decent performing tyre as well.

I've seen that for the correct load rating there are a few options:

Stick with the Claytons and get the cross climate agilis either 205 or 215/65 but these are rated at 73db. The 235/60 cross climate suv at 69db but these are right on the limit for the Claytons and I've seen some stuff about tyre bulge.

Go for Devonport or similar 17 inch. Get 235/60 (70db) or 235/65 (69db) cross climate suv tyres.

Forget the cross climates if noise and comfort are my priorities and get another 205/215 65 r16s tyre - recommendations.

Would I notice an increase in road noise with 235/65 r17 over the 205/215 r16 if the tyres are better noise rated?

Any advice appreciated.

Find a local converter who is selling off a set of Devonports with new tyres on. I did this for £500. Was less expensive than getting four new tyres. I can't really say much about the noise difference as I had 17s already and I've not really noticed a change.

Went from bog standard claytons to bog standard 17inch cascavels with dunlops to 235/55/17 cross climate tyres - can’t really notice any noise difference tbh. The road surfaces in this country are so bad most of the time it’s unrealistic to expect a quiet drive, soundproofing the van made a bigger difference

Went from bog standard claytons to bog standard 17inch cascavels with dunlops to 235/55/17 cross climate tyres - can’t really notice any noise difference tbh. The road surfaces in this country are so bad most of the time it’s unrealistic to expect a quiet drive, soundproofing the van made a bigger difference
Were they the suv or agilis ones?

I'm not expecting a quiet drive and I've ordered some sound proofing materials to do the scuttle wheel arches and front doors. The back is fairly well sound proofed but the front is not.

A number of years ago I switched tyres to noisier ones and it bugged me for quite while after. I like the cross climates but mine have always been on passenger cars.

I'm thinking that 235/65 r17 would be same sidewall depth but the width would allow lower pressures for a smooth drive.

I'm probably over thinking it and should just get some Devonports as suggested here.

Were they the suv or agilis ones?

I'm not expecting a quiet drive and I've ordered some sound proofing materials to do the scuttle wheel arches and front doors. The back is fairly well sound proofed but the front is not.

A number of years ago I switched tyres to noisier ones and it bugged me for quite while after. I like the cross climates but mine have always been on passenger cars.

I'm thinking that 235/65 r17 would be same sidewall depth but the width would allow lower pressures for a smooth drive.

I'm probably over thinking it and should just get some Devonports as suggested here.
They were cross climate 2’s. 235/55/17 are the standard size for OEM 17 inch wheels

Ah OK thanks. I missed that they did these in the correct load capacity but I can see them now. 71db

Just to confuse matters the rating on tyres is for "external rolling noise,"

The noise recorded when the test rig rolls past a microphone at a set speed doesn't necessarily translate proportionally to the noise transmitted through the vehicles structure and into the cabin.

Just to confuse matters the rating on tyres is for "external rolling noise,"

The noise recorded when the test rig rolls past a microphone at a set speed doesn't necessarily translate proportionally to the noise transmitted through the vehicles structure and into the cabin.
Interesting. I didn't know that. Maybe I'm just thinking about it too much.

Back