180 CFCA running hot

Stavats

Hi all, long time lurker on this forum. Thanks for all the valuable info.

I've got a 2017 model T6 Transporter with the 180 CFCA engine. It's heavily modified for overlanding in Africa - exterior, interior as well as under the bonnet.

About 18 months ago I suddenly noticed a sharp increase in fuel consumption (9.5km/l down to 7km/l), slight loss of power and higher than normal EGT, coolant temp and air intake temp. It drives fine and I'm probably the only person that would notice that something's wrong.

Since then I've spent many hours and loads of money troubleshooting. Numerous parts have been replaced with the latest being the turbocharger. My car is such a unique setup that it won't be helpful going into much detail about what was done to the engine and what not.

Can someone provide a list of sensors that are known to be problematic on this engine and that could have an adverse effect on the combustion process?

My modus operandi is to replace such sensors regardless and hope to find the culprit before having to open it up.

Not sure if that model has one fitted but check the bag of silicate dessicant in the header tank hasn't split and dumped its contents into your coolant system. The little balls can block passageways and cause restricted flow and overheating.

Back