2017 Velle Bi-turbo gone, main dealer or go indy?

lexhorton

had my 50k miles caravelle since 2017 and all work has been done with the cambs main dealer.

bi Turbo just went at start of road trip so its completely off the road now.

Any opinions on main dealer Vs breaking out and going indy with someone good? -looking for recommends on that.

the whole 'good will from VW seems very discretionary and communication with front of house at the dealerships can be less than transparent, especially when it comes to timeframes.

bracing myself for big bills either way, just want to come out the other side with confidence that the vehicle can be used on future road trips cos this has really shaken my faith in it.

how do you know?

whats the report or diagnostic?

as in what have the mechanics checked so far?

is it a CXEB 204ps engine code?

CXEB engines seem to pop up with either Bore or Bi-Turbo issues.

how do you know?

whats the report or diagnostic?

as in what have the mechanics checked so far?

is it a CXEB 204ps engine code?

CXEB engines seem to pop up with either Bore or Bi-Turbo issues.
hi Dellmessive

It had a flashing glow plug icon then went into limp mode, was still limping after a restart so I managed to get it to a VW commercial dealer in Kent who kindly got some codes.
they were to do with Low Turbo.

they took pity on me, full family and van full of holiday kit and looked a little deeper.

said the rattling sound was the broken up turbo blades and said we should hope that its on the out side not the in.
hopefully not on the in cos its not smoking or doing anything really gnarly other than limping with no power at all.

So are they saying it's just a whole biturbo assembly?

Have they quoted you for it yet?

Last we heard on hear that was a 4k part and 6k-8k job.

Did they mention about replacing the DPF and CAT or anything about oil contamination?

Are are they saying it's just the turbo impeller that's failed?

There's a good thread on here about failed turbo on @Tourershine van. And his story

Can someone post a link?

So are they saying it's just a whole biturbo assembly?

Have they quoted you for it yet?

Last we heard on hear that was a 4k part and 6k-8k job.

Did they mention about replacing the DPF and CAT or anything about oil contamination?

Are are they saying it's just the turbo impeller that's failed?
The garage that pulled codes and recognised the noise didn’t do any more than that, it was then recovered back to my drive way.

I’m trying to work out what next steps are as I assume it needs a pretty thorough investigation to work out the extent of it all and generate a quote, or is this a case of work starts and things get discovered as they go?

If this kind of thing should be main dealer and specific vw techs then that’s what I should do and have done with previous issues.

The only oil thing that’s happened before is oil in the coolant and coolant leaking, the first one was expensive and didn’t get any ‘good will’ as far as I remember, the second they covered because it was probably caused by the first.

if you are in the 204 Bi-Turbo club, then have a look here:

204ps Bi-Turbo CXEB Engine & Turbo problems:

Thanks dellmassive. Read these when it happened searching around the site, all clearer on a second read through. Thanks for pulling them together.

Feels like it needs to be a main dealer job and I just have to ‘trust the process’ and work out the finances.

I’d hope that in these modern rolling computers full of sensors it will tell the techs everything that should get replaced once the engine is out and the don’t just fix the main issue. Obvs don’t particularly want a big big bill but I want to know I can trust it again for the big trips and I don’t have a future of side effects from the first big problem.

Really feel for people using these in the trades, you’re not getting stranded far from home but what a stress to put on your business!

I’m just glad my thing happened in the UK and I don’t have a van sitting somewhere random deep in France. Not saying they’re bad techs but communication with garages can be tricky in English!

started a new thread to pull it all together. . . .

keep us posted,

ill add you to the cxeb list for 2017 turbo atm . .

Back