255/55/R18 or 235/55/R18 Tyres for a T32 4 Motion?

Rhodders

My T32 4 Motion (manual) currently stands on 255/45/R18 tyres on T6 Sportline wheels, the Tyres all need replacing but my opinion (echoed around this forum) is that the 255/45 tyres look far too small on a T32 and i wish to fill the arches by Tyre upsize as i do not want to lower the suspension from standard.
I have scoured the forum and 'Willtheyfit.com' for advice and i am drawn to either 255/55/R18 or 235/55/R18.
I understand the 235/55 will fit no probs, (no rubbing etc) with a speedo error of -4.05% and higher gearing. Dia increase to 717.7mm; height increase by 14mm.
The 255/55 Dia increase to 737.3mm; height increase by 25.5mm; speedo error -6.91% however seem to fit according to other members experience... but some have reported rubbing on full lock or with compressed springs (difficult to tell if some of these have lowered vans or of a different variant (T30/T28 etc - does a T32 4M sit higher than all others on standard suspension???)
Not sure higher gearing will be noticeable on a manual box, but does anyone have experience of decreased acceleration response ?
Looking for advice before form the collective knowledge!

I have 235/55/18 on my 4motion and have a 235/60/17 on original alloy as a spare wheel. Also fits underneath no problem.
235/60/17 is about 1.9mm diameter smaller so hopefully will be ok if needed as a spare. As my 235/55//18’s wear down a few mil size should be about the same.
Speedo is the same as Waze sat nav speed with the 235/55/18

IMG_1719.jpeg

Last edited:
Great thanks. Did you have to modify the spare carrier at all? Does it still tighten up to the 2 black spacers if that makes sense?

Cheers

No problem, glad I could be of help. :cool:
My original VW alloys in photo.
This is the wheel I use as a spare with 235/60/17 tyre fitted:

IMG_1662.jpeg

For information:
I couldn’t get my new alloy with 235/55/18 on a 8.5 width ET45 to fit in the wheel carrier.
That’s why I used the original VW wheel with the 235/60/17 tyre as a spare.

Bognor Motors, I might get you to mod my carrier in the future so I can run same size spare. :thumbsup:

Do you think a 235 65 17 tyre will fit in the carrier?
I’m looking into what size wheel/ tyre I can use as a spare, iv heard a 4motion transmission really needs the same tyre size as a spare, if driving any sort of distance, I’ll admit, I haven’t got down and looked at the carrier in much detail

Don’t think you will get an 8.5 width wheel in the wheel carrier, especially with the AT3 tyre.

My 8.5 didn’t want to fit. You might squeeze an 8 in there but I don’t know for sure. Probably better with a narrower steel wheel that you suggest.

Don’t think you will get an 8.5 width wheel in the wheel carrier, especially with the AT3 tyre.

My 8.5 didn’t want to fit. You might squeeze an 8 in there but I don’t know for sure. Probably better with a narrower steel wheel that you suggest.
Ok thanks, yes I’m ok with a narrower wheel and tyre, but a *** 65 17 tyre would fit?

Hi everyone
I have a standard factory spec T6 Highline T32 SWB. It would have had 17 inch wheels on originally as is the spare underneath. The previous owner put 255/45 r18s on and I have kept with this size for 4-5 yrs. Now the tyres need changing , sticking with the same alloys , I wish to change the tyre size to 255/ 55 R18s. This slight change in the aspect ratio will allow me to change to BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2. This mean 10-15 mm change in height / aspect. Pretty sure looking at the wheel arch etc that it will not rub even on full lock? Has/ is anyone running these tyres / wheel sizes on a factory spec ( not lowered / lifted) T6? Any help would be useful , have a feeling it will be fine apart from changes in speedo reading etc ?

Hi,

Can I ask what you do about a spare tyre on a 4motion?
Hi Bognor Motors
I have a standard factory spec T6 Highline T32 SWB. It would have had 17 inch wheels on originally as is the spare underneath. The previous owner put 255/45 r18s on and I have kept with this size for 4-5 yrs. Now the tyres need changing , sticking with the same alloys , I wish to change the tyre size to 255/ 55 R18s. This slight change in the aspect ratio will allow me to change to BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2. This mean 10-15 mm change in height / aspect. Pretty sure looking at the wheel arch etc that it will not rub even on full lock? Has/ is anyone running these tyres / wheel sizes (255/55/R18s ) on a factory spec ( not lowered / lifted) T6?
Any help would be useful , have a feeling it will be fine apart from changes in speedo reading etc ?

You should put the figures in 'Will they fit.com'
255/55 R18 will increase by more than 10-15mm in height . Diameter will increase from 686.7mm to 737.7mm. Arch gap loss of 25.5mm. Speedo under reads by almost 7%.
I too have a T32 SWB (4Motion) on standard suspension and looked at making the same change ( to fill the arches on same T6 Sportline alloys as the 45s looked lost in the big arches ). Members with 55's advised that 255/55 R18 rubbed only on extreme lock and dependant upon how much load you carry (springs compressed etc). So it is do-able.
Acceleration and gearing ( more so if automatic) will be affected somewhat. Plus Speedo out more. These are what changed my mind.
In the end i opted for 235/55 R18 (All seasons) which was a good compromise, and speedo hardly affected (under reads by 4%). Diameter increase to 715.7mm. Arch gap loss 14.5mm.
I have to say the quality of the ride noticeably increased tenfold. No more crashing about.

Rhodders. Thanks for your reply, really useful. Think I’m going to try the BF Goodrich All terrain ko2s n see how I get along. These will be 255/55/18s. I have a manual T6 so am willing to accept gearing and underead on the Speedo. I don’t carry much of a load at any time, it’s a day van. I will get the garage to fit one front tyre and see if there is clearance on full lock with it off the jacks and make the decision from there. Just looking for a durable tyre for terrible potholed back roads that have shredded some Bridgestones, also after rider comfort. Cheers

Back