A Little Guidance to make sure im doing it right! Upgrading Van electris

Virtualmeuk

VIP Member
Hi People,

I've just bought a new to me van. Its a T6 Euro 5 2016 Highline base van and was converted from new by "Thistle Rose". Its the first Camper van i have ever had so its a steep learning curve. It seems a pretty basic but functional electrical system from what i have researched. The problem for me is that i want more information and control over the system so i can monitor and be sure that the electrics are functioning and im not going to do any damage to the Leasure or Starter battery and how long i can go off grid. I have replaced all of the Van door interior lights for LED's to try and save a few miliamps already. I will eventually replace all of the electics for Victron stuff but still trying to figure out what i need / Want for the system. I am trying to build it so that we can bee off grid for at least a few days / week just using basic things like phone charging, Fridge, Paddle board Pump, 12v TV, on board Wifi and Maybe a dash cam / cctv.

At this stage i want to just monitor it all and see what i have got and what is happening whilst we test it on a few weekends this summer / Autum.

So am i correct in assuming i can replace the existing MPPT that is there for a:

Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT Solar Charge Controller (Bluetooth) 100V 15 amp 12/24-Volt

And adding a Shunt to the leasure battery and monitor the leasure battery and the starter battery from the 2 Aux and Vbatt.
Victron Energy SmartShunt Battery Monitor (Bluetooth) - Victron Smart Shunt - 6.5V-70V - 500 amp

At least i will know then how its all working off my phone and it should still be relevant when i have decided how to configure the system when i upgrade it.

Any help of comments appreciated.

I’d recommend just getting the shunt (Victron Smart 500A - no screen, connect via Bluetooth on phone) first and see how you go. Not much point upgrading the MPPT until you know what your future setup is going to be.

The biggest single difference is a lifepo4 battery but you will need a new DC-DC charger and some rewiring as a minimum given you have the CBE DS300 kit which is not lithium compatible.

Id agree, fitting a shunt to the battery will allow you to monitor exact consumption and state of charge of the battery during your trips and give you some solid facts to build on

Thanks for the replies. I think that’s what I will do next. One other question though. Does anyone know what these are?
IMG_3648.jpegIMG_3649.jpeg

the second picture looks like a 2 pin connector of some sort but hard to know what its function is without knowing what the cables are and where they go
It could be a simple 2 pin 12v takeoff to connect some thing too or part of an onboard system for something ??

Ah ok well spotted. Not sure what they do but ill find out when i get the seat off!! The other one has a 20a fuse inside it and looks like it goes into the loom under the seat

Back