Accident Damage

Embersr1

Hi, John here.
I’m new to the forum and looking for some expert advice.
I have owned a camper based on an early T6 T28 Highline for the last year. 3 weeks ago I hit a fully grown roebuck deer that took out the radiator, aircon, grill, bumper and a few other bits. I also noticed that the engine appeared to not sit square in the engine bay. To me it looked like the nearside end of the engine was pushed back about an inch or so. I have pointed this out to the insurers approved repairer but they say they cannot find anything wrong and it’s meant to be like this. I said ‘that’s bo!!ocks’ but would like someone from here to advise if possible before I kick up a fuss and make a fool of myself. They say they’ve checked the engine mounts and they’re fine so what else could it be? All advice appreciated.

Need to take some measurement points and compare with undamages vans.

Need to take some measurement points and compare with undamages vans.
Hi, thanks for the reply. I intend to do that but just need confirmation that the engine is meant to sit perfectly square in the engine bay for the moment.
If anybody with the same van could post a picture of their engine bay that’d be great

Hi, thanks for the reply. I intend to do that but just need confirmation that the engine is meant to sit perfectly square in the engine bay for the moment.
If anybody with the same van could post a picture of their engine bay that’d be great

Mines a T28 but a DSG (don't know anything about engines so not sure if that makes much difference in this case!). Anyway, took some pics, tried to take them looking straight down at engine, hope it helps :)

Cv2egwFRWmwsFXJdDVCnA_zpsjlxuyfu0.jpg

JthWr7UDQAq4m8pBzmxnQA_zpshbngwgig.jpg

lWe7QZkNTS2ZxBJ2YLRKJg_zpsibozb291.jpg

You need to tell us which year and what engine you have then someone could take some measurements from a similar van. I'd of thought an accident repair place would be checking stuff like this as a matter of course though? If something has bent enough to push the engine out of line surely there would be evidence of this on the chassis somewhere?

Hopefully it’ll help; @Paul Holmes on here has been asking for parts in the past, so he may have more of an idea where you are with your repairs.

Hi, John here.
I’m new to the forum and looking for some expert advice.
I have owned a camper based on an early T6 T28 Highline for the last year. 3 weeks ago I hit a fully grown roebuck deer that took out the radiator, aircon, grill, bumper and a few other bits. I also noticed that the engine appeared to not sit square in the engine bay. To me it looked like the nearside end of the engine was pushed back about an inch or so. I have pointed this out to the insurers approved repairer but they say they cannot find anything wrong and it’s meant to be like this. I said ‘that’s bo!!ocks’ but would like someone from here to advise if possible before I kick up a fuss and make a fool of myself. They say they’ve checked the engine mounts and they’re fine so what else could it be? All advice appreciated.
I know it doesn't help, but this is why I never use "approved repairers" they are on a shoestring budget for the repairs & have no vehicle specific knowledge. For any major repairs I've always insisted on using main dealers. I had a Hi-lux that was rear ended, it went to the approved repairer(not Toyota) & when it came back it was pulling to one side, I took it back to Toyota & they had it on a jig & the whole chassis was out of square. It took the threat of legal action against the insurers before they would pay Toyota to put it right.

Had a quick look under the bonnet of my 102bhp Tdi, and the nearside end of the engine does appear to be back a little compared to the offside. Engines do not have to sit square in relation to the chassis they mount on.

We need to know more - what engine, and can you take some photos and measurements ?

Pete

Had a quick look under the bonnet of my 102bhp Tdi, and the nearside end of the engine does appear to be back a little compared to the offside. Engines do not have to sit square in relation to the chassis they mount on.

We need to know more - what engine, and can you take some photos and measurements ?

Pete
Hi guys, thanks for the replies and especially the photos. I managed to get a peek in a comparable engine bay this pm and just like Pete C said, they all seem to be like that so it’s time to offer the repair shop a big slice of my freshly prepared humble pie!! Normally I hate being wrong but I’m quite happy to be this time cos I just want my camper back, having cancelled 2 weekends away thanks to suicidal Bambi

I would be gobsmacked if the collision has “moved” the engine back and the chassis and / or engine mounts are not damaged .....

Back