Adblue Warranty Issue

Bertone

I’m hoping someone can help with an issue I’m having with VW Commercial UK. I’ve had a look but can’t find any posts covering this so apologies if I’ve missed something.

My 2022 Transporter 6.1 is still under warranty with about 10,000 miles driven. The Adblue warning message to top came on as expected which I did with the required volume bought from a high street supplier. Everything was fine for 1500 miles, engine driving smoothly, until the engine malfunction indicator came up on the dashboard. Booked it in to an authorised VW Commercial service centre assuming an over sensitive sensor or some such thing. Wasn’t concerned as it was still under warranty and was running perfectly.

I was stunned when they came back and said that tests had shown the Adblue used ‘was below spec’ and they couldn’t proceed as a warranty issue. The repair cost would be in the region of £2000! The service centre suggested I contact VW Commercial. I won’t go into the details other than to say I have a note pad full of contemporaneous notes regarding their failure to respond within their timescales; contradictory information and general unwillingness to engage. And that’s all without discussing details of the case.

The service centre have been great. Very supportive and forthcoming with information. After I highlighted to VW Commercial that I was aware that they had suggested to the service centre a 50/50 split to repair to the service centre which was surely was an admission of liability I asked what would they offer as goodwill to me the customer? (Understandably the service centre was unwilling to agree to this 50/50 which I totally get. Why should they be £1000 down when they have simply undertaken a diagnosis?). Anyway, VW told me they couldn’t offer me anything!! It was an arrangement they have with authorised dealers and was confidential. Since drafting this post they have come back with a ‘final’ offer of £500.

I said I wanted to raise a formal complaint about the way my case was being handled. Two separate people told me that I’d already made a complaint which was twaddle. All I have done to this point is discuss the claim. It was only when I said that I would need to take the case to the Motor Ombudsman and they were unlikely to consider a claim unless I’d fully explored VW Commercial’s internal process, that someone did acknowledge there is a separate complaint process.

So, if I haven’t already bored you stiff and you’re still reading, am I being naive to think I’m entitled to redress? Have I just been incredibly unlucky with the nightmare service or is this typical? I’d obviously be really pleased to hear from anyone with a similar Adblue experience. Many thanks

When I got my van earlier this year, the VW main dealer who I got the van from said only to use Adblue from VW - and not to use Adblue from places like Halfords.
Just to put this in perspective, I've never had dealings with a main dealer before and I thought I was quite savvy, but it was a very gentle mugging when I got the van and they knew exactly what they were doing. A learning experience for next time.
On this forum, no one else has been told this and most use widely available product but all Adblue should conform to the same ISO standard.
I have only put in a couple of litres left over from someone else (Halfords) but to be honest - I don't know. Where did you get your Adblue - was it Halfords or another big store, or was it a cheapie product?

I would fight it all the way just for a bit of fun - and you know they will eventually offer you a goodwill gesture but it will be a fight.
In the manual it says just to use Adblue that conforms to that ISO standard - doesn't mention to only use VW branded Adblue. Go sick 'em!

I’m hoping someone can help with an issue I’m having with VW Commercial UK. I’ve had a look but can’t find any posts covering this so apologies if I’ve missed something.

My 2022 Transporter 6.1 is still under warranty with about 10,000 miles driven. The Adblue warning message to top came on as expected which I did with the required volume bought from a high street supplier. Everything was fine for 1500 miles, engine driving smoothly, until the engine malfunction indicator came up on the dashboard. Booked it in to an authorised VW Commercial service centre assuming an over sensitive sensor or some such thing. Wasn’t concerned as it was still under warranty and was running perfectly.

I was stunned when they came back and said that tests had shown the Adblue used ‘was below spec’ and they couldn’t proceed as a warranty issue. The repair cost would be in the region of £2000! The service centre suggested I contact VW Commercial. I won’t go into the details other than to say I have a note pad full of contemporaneous notes regarding their failure to respond within their timescales; contradictory information and general unwillingness to engage. And that’s all without discussing details of the case.

The service centre have been great. Very supportive and forthcoming with information. After I highlighted to VW Commercial that I was aware that they had suggested to the service centre a 50/50 split to repair to the service centre which was surely was an admission of liability I asked what would they offer as goodwill to me the customer? (Understandably the service centre was unwilling to agree to this 50/50 which I totally get. Why should they be £1000 down when they have simply undertaken a diagnosis?). Anyway, VW told me they couldn’t offer me anything!! It was an arrangement they have with authorised dealers and was confidential. Since drafting this post they have come back with a ‘final’ offer of £500.

I said I wanted to raise a formal complaint about the way my case was being handled. Two separate people told me that I’d already made a complaint which was twaddle. All I have done to this point is discuss the claim. It was only when I said that I would need to take the case to the Motor Ombudsman and they were unlikely to consider a claim unless I’d fully explored VW Commercial’s internal process, that someone did acknowledge there is a separate complaint process.

So, if I haven’t already bored you stiff and you’re still reading, am I being naive to think I’m entitled to redress? Have I just been incredibly unlucky with the nightmare service or is this typical? I’d obviously be really pleased to hear from anyone with a similar Adblue experience. Many thanks
"I was stunned when they came back and said that tests had shown the Adblue used ‘was below spec’ and they couldn’t proceed as a warranty issue. The repair cost would be in the region of £2000! The service centre suggested I contact VW Commercial. I won’t go into the details other than to say I have a note pad full of contemporaneous notes regarding their failure to respond within their timescales; contradictory information and general unwillingness to engage. And that’s all without discussing details of the case."

been there and got the tee-shirt (see my numerous other posts). VW Customer Care is atrocious and the complaints department even worse. The staff are very non technical and seem only to be motivated by getting a case closed asap ..... suspect they have KPIs to meet. I also suspect they are off-shore possibly South Africa?

as you say they give deadlines but then do not meet and never apologise or give a reason for not doing so

Ultimately it depends how motivated you are and how much time you have available for the fight?

• I would be asking for the evidence, test regime, calibration certificates for equipment used to suggest the AdBlue was not to spec. Adblue should all meet strict ISO standards and if you brought a branded product from a high street retailer why would this not be to spec? do you have receipts for the adblue purchase, can you get another tub from the same supplier for future evidence .... you may have recourse against them but I guess being able to prove poor quality might be costly. If you could it might be another line of attack however for the dealer to very quickly and conveniently come to the conclusion that the adblue used is not to spec seems very fishy to me. did they do any other tests, all of which are quick and easy eg testing the injector pressure and delivery volume etc. I found they have a habit of trying to convince you they are your friends without looking after your best interests.
  • what are they suggesting needs repairing?
  • even if sub standard adblue was used can they prove damage has been caused or is it just convenient to replace the SCR system?
  • Issues with the SCR system and EML warning lights are super common. forgetting the argument over who pays I would want evidence to back up their diagnosis in the first instance. Maybe seek other independent diagnosis and then threaten to take it straight to small claims court ..... sound like your being twirled unless I am missing something
You also have manufacturers warranty not the less favourable All-in

Any finance on the vehicle - this can make a difference?

Last edited:
When I got my van earlier this year, the VW main dealer who I got the van from said only to use Adblue from VW - and not to use Adblue from places like Halfords.
Just to put this in perspective, I've never had dealings with a main dealer before and I thought I was quite savvy, but it was a very gentle mugging when I got the van and they knew exactly what they were doing. A learning experience for next time.
On this forum, no one else has been told this and most use widely available product but all Adblue should conform to the same ISO standard.
I have only put in a couple of litres left over from someone else (Halfords) but to be honest - I don't know. Where did you get your Adblue - was it Halfords or another big store, or was it a cheapie product?

I would fight it all the way just for a bit of fun - and you know they will eventually offer you a goodwill gesture but it will be a fight.
In the manual it says just to use Adblue that conforms to that ISO standard - doesn't mention to only use VW branded Adblue. Go sick 'em!
during the course of my issues the dealership suggested the same until I pointed out that since the SCR problems had started I had had a software update which came with a voucher for eight free re-fills at VW service centres so all of my adblue had come from VW. My wife has an Audi, had an SCR recall at 3 years old, now 10 years old and never any issues.

due another top up soon however I heard they had voided the scheme and there is so much faff involved. You have to book in, wait for a slot (adblue timer ticking down), the van then has to go in and on the ramps as they insist it has a health check even though this has now been done four times in twelve months, it is ridiculous. minimum couple of hours to save £20!!

I am with you treat it has a challenge and take on the fight unless you have life's time pressures

I really feel for you. I bought a sharan in 2010, and adblue had just come out. I was appalled that Vw didn’t stock it in the dealership even in the tiny bottles. Which don’t have enough to cover the volume needed if the low adblue came on. Back then the manual said to only use Vw adblue. The usual iso standard number I can’t recall but the Vw one has a-1 at the end. Or did on the old 10 litre bottle. The ones I’ve got from Vw recently strangely don’t have this iso no on them. I’ve just checked. I seem to recall reading somewhere, maybe on here that the -1 was due to how it is stored. I have paid ridiculous amounts for adblue esp just post brexit and during Covid to try to keep using Vw s own. Simply because of the issues you are now facing. Had a nox sensor replaced in a sharan but thankfully under warranty. It seems really unreasonable that you can’t use the high street stuff which should be exactly the same . I hope you are successful in the battle

Just a thank you guys for your responses and suggestions. Definitely food for thought and I’ll definitely not be giving up easily. Hilly64, there is no finance outstanding as the van was a retirement present to myself. One reason why I need to be sensible with a reduced income.

I have never used VW Adblue (2018 T6 150 DSG LWB). Always used branded alternatives and product from Esso pumps. Have used Halfords, Triple QX, RedX, Adblue 4 You, Mannol, CarBlue and whatever product Screwfix and ToolStation sell. Never had a problem with any. Also never been told by VW to use their Adblue.

Just a thank you guys for your responses and suggestions. Definitely food for thought and I’ll definitely not be giving up easily. Hilly64, there is no finance outstanding as the van was a retirement present to myself. One reason why I need to be sensible with a reduced income.
Snap - Mine was too although my retirement didn’t go as planned, lasted 1 day and now back working lol

Only mention finance as this could be an avenue to take your complaint and I have heard finance houses can lever pressure

Good luck and I keep the forum updated. If mine failed again I would definitely get it mapped out

Back