Adding App-Connect / CarPlay to the Composition Colour head-unit it a T6.1 Startline

admrobrts

VIP Member
Hello all

I have a 2020 T6.1 Startline with the Composition Colour head-unit. It's pretty basic and will probably get replaced with an Alpine Halo unit in the future but I have other part of my build that need to get done first so it's going to have to wait for the budget to allow for it to be replaced.

In the meantime I'd like to get CarPlay installed on the head-unit. Any way of doing this without paying at crazy fees the main dealers want for the software unlock?

Current software on the unit is: MEN2_EU_VWGPX_P2080L
@Dav-Tec I've read in other threads you've offered to help with other MIB2 units. Are you able to unlock CarPlay on this one or am I gonna need to get the main dealer to sort?

Thanks

I thought all 6.1’s had CarPlay?
Sadly not. The head unit supports CarPlay / App Connect but it's not activated on my head unit.

In service mode it shows 4 supported function enabling codes:
00060100 - Vehicle Interface
00060300 - Mirror-link /App-Connect
00060800 - Apple Car Play
00060900 - Android Auto

My van is a Startline with the pretty basic Composition Colour head unit, so I guess VW did not enable them for "free".

My Startline does. I wonder why they activated it on some but not others?
Yeah seems strange. When I viewed the van the radio was not working. Turned on but no audio. Before I bought it the dealer sent it off and had the software updated. Not sure if that reset it as I have no idea if it had it installed to start with.

Was that a vw dealer?
Have you tried logging into weconnect app and going to vehicle details. You can find every option on your vehicle. If it's shown you may be able to get them to unlock it again.
Mine lists it below, but it's the discover media one

Screenshot_20240910_190102_Volkswagen.jpg

Just had a look at the brochure and according to that all 6.1’s have app connect so CarPlay and android auto should be available. Composition colour wired and discover media wireless.

Pretty sure you should have CarPlay if it’s a 6.1. I would go back to the dealer- I’m guessing it wasn’t a vw dealer?

Back