Aftermarket Reversing Camera to Discover Media

Danpearson1986

Good evening.

I've purchased a volkswagen reverse camera input interface harness.

I have a discover media radio. I'm wanting to add a reverse camera to the radio.

The description for the harness says:

Adapter harness to add a reverse camera to an original volkswagen transporter T6 discover media radio screen. This harness has a built in interface to give ignition power and a reverse feed to the camera. Note: camera input function needs to be CODED to the van using VCDS.

so that being said.....

Video lead from the harness (yellow plug) - to video output on the camera. This also has a power wire small red wire which is attached to the video cable.

Ground- (black wire) - to ground on camera power.

Acc- (red wire) - to positive connection on camera.

Reverse - (Purple) ... Do I tap this into the green and black reverse power in the harness from rear passenger tail lamp loom, or do I connect the video cable small red power cable from camera video cable into the Purple reverse from the harness.

Also is the small black module a canbus relay.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Dan.

17182957504464862778102840743513.jpg

Screenshot_20240613-173303_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240613-173406_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240613-173427_eBay.jpg

Welcome to the forum @Danpearson1986

Do you have the link to the vendor or site you bought it from?

Also do you have the right kind of equipment to do the coding on your van to enable it once fitted?

Hi. These are the instructions for the harness

1718299722118440401985131389853.jpg

I think this is the correct way to wire it up.

Just need someone to confirm this is right.

Apologies for the kids handwriting

17183009247236754958142775356485.jpg

Do you have VCDS or some kind of programming tool to let the van know the camera has been added ?
It wont work until programmed

Yes it's not clear if the purple wire is a reverse output signal derived from the CANBUS or an input from the instructions, you could read it either way.

However in another video they do seem to use purple to indicate reverse output which would be used as your diagram to trigger the generic camera.

Do you have VCDS or some kind of programming tool to let the van know the camera has been added ?
It wont work until programmed
No. Thats my next step. Once I've wired it up (Sunday) I will make tracks into getting it coded via vcds.

Yes it's not clear if the purple wire is a reverse output signal derived from the CANBUS or an input from the instructions, you could read it either way.

However in another video they do seem to use purple to indicate reverse output which would be used as your diagram to trigger the generic camera.

I hope so too. I make the instructions out to say that the purple reverse wire is power trigger to camera via the small red wire that runs inside the video wire back to the camera at the rear.

I hope so too. I make the instructions out to say that the purple reverse wire is power trigger to camera via the small red wire that runs inside the video wire back to the camera at the rear.
I suppose I could test the reverse (purple wire) with a multi meter when I select reverse to see if it puts voltage out.

An added bonus with the adapter harness is that every pin/connector is populated (normally). If you have not yet wired up rear speakers, for example, then you can just tap into the relevant wires in the harness rather than muck about adding pins to the original plug.

No need to connect that purple, the black box produces 12v when reverse is selected, so connect the cameras red wire to the red on the loom, ground camera, job done after coding

So a slight update on the reverse camera.

I've had it coded today at an independent vw garage.

Now when I select reverse I've got the correct screen but no video showing on the screen. I've now got the options to adjust black and white , brightness and colour levels but no video. Its coded correctly . I think its going to need a tap from the reverse rear tail lite (black and green. The purple wire on the harness is a reverser power input. The technician told me to check the wiring as something I've done is wrong.

So a slight update on the reverse camera.

I've had it coded today at an independent vw garage.

Now when I select reverse I've got the correct screen but no video showing on the screen. I've now got the options to adjust black and white , brightness and colour levels but no video. Its coded correctly . I think its going to need a tap from the reverse rear tail lite (black and green. The purple wire on the harness is a reverser power input. The technician told me to check the wiring as something I've done is wrong.

Have you got 12v on the red wire ?

Reverse camera all working now.

My next issue is its not showing the reverse guide lines.. Can this be added in settings somewhere.

Back