Another faulty steering rack ?

willythepooh

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Yesterday I pulled the van off my drive and heard the groaning of the steering rack as I turned.
The fluid was low and frothy. Couldn’t see any leaks.
I topped it up and all was well until I did another 10 mile journey.
Noisy again and low oil.
Now I can see oil at the end of the steering rack and dripping off onto the drive.
The usual ‘can’t get you in until 11th July, need to diagnose the fault, £132, then get it authorised by the warranty company’.
Sorry VW, but I want it fixed.

I’m in the middle of fitting a bathroom, the wife takes her car away tomorrow for a week, so I have no vehicle.
I paid £839 for an All-In package.
Some fkn use that turns out to be.
I don’t think I’ve ever had a vehicle that has had so many major failings or niggles as this one and I did some major miles over the years.
This has done 40,000 miles only.
3 times it has dumped me in the proverbial.
Miffed to say the least.

Last edited:
Do you think you’ll get warranty on a lowered van? The geometry isn’t the same as OEM. I’m wondering if that is why they are failing.

My lad got a warranty fix on his, lower than mine and coilovers.
Plus the fact VW had mine in for a major job and inspection before I could take out the warranty.
If they want to argue about it …..

3 weeks is actually pretty good for a dealer these days, sad but true.
Other option is to call VW assist and convince them you feel unsafe driving it which may get you in by Tuesday but I'd imagine even then you'd not get it fixed this week.
Bad timing mate.

3 weeks is actually pretty good for a dealer these days, sad but true.
Other option is to call VW assist and convince them you feel unsafe driving it which may get you in by Tuesday but I'd imagine even then you'd not get it fixed this week.
Bad timing mate.
It’s a lot quicker than getting a motorbike service at the main dealer during summer. Plus not sure even the VW dealer is at the £180 per hour the Honda dealer is now at.
Needless to say I’m not using the main dealer, but always good to get a price so you can see how much you’re saving going elsewhere.

How did we get here? Things never used to be like this.

So I get a hire van from Enterprise and the air con isn’t working. It’s permanently on hot.
Climbed underneath the dash, pushed the lever across and …
warmish.
Then, the engine warning lamp comes on.
What a bag of shite.

So I get a hire van from Enterprise and the air con isn’t working. It’s permanently on hot.
Climbed underneath the dash, pushed the lever across and …
warmish.
Then, the engine warning lamp comes on.
What a bag of shite.

I nearly bought an ex-rental T6, I put a deposit down on it. It was a 2020 model and but failed its MOT every time. They were prepping it for me and guess what? it failed again. On suspension related components, so needless to say I backed out of that one. A 4 year old van with clapped out suspension bushes etc, nah.

Back