(Another) Oil Leak

Bigsidavies

Retired
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Had a good search and can’t find anything similar.
Van was oil-leak free when I painted my calipers in May just before Bala camp.
It’s now covered in oil on the offside below the timing belt cover.
In at the garage today for timing belt, water pump, crank pulley oil seal and a full service.
Had a phone call to say that the oil leak is above the oil seal and without stripping more stuff off it’s hard to tell where from due to the amount of dirt and oil that’s there.
So plan is, full service, degrease and clean all the engine and return next week to investigate oil leak.
Garage thinks it’s from around the head area and not from near the turbo (CXEB engine).
Any suggestions as to where it might be coming from? There’s deffo no oil/water cross contamination.
We can have a guess and see who gets it right.
:oops:

They are sure it's not the crankshaft front main seal?

Got any pics of the leak?

Any idea how much oil you been loosing?

They’ve had the cover off to do the crank pulley oil seal today and reckon it’s coming from above and behind, hence not doing that job until there is certainty. In their words ‘it’s as if someone has spilled oil when topping up’. That’s the area that it has come down from.
However, I did the last oil change and the last top up and I was meticulous with my little funnel.
Just looked through the wheel and everything is very clean so should show up soon enough.
I’m going back after Busfest to get it on the ramp for another look and move forward from there.
It’s using very little oil. In the last 7000 miles it’s taken 1 litre and that was put in as two seperate top ups of half a litre each.
First top up was before the oil leak and the second about a month ago.

How you getting on with your camper Kevin?
You back on the road?
Yeah, all mobile. It's been down kintyre for a week and week around the the nc500 area. And the odd weekends here and there. So it's got a good 1.5k miles since it's cheap repair!! Luckily it only cost me parts and no labour. If there was labour, it would've been parts. Labour and a my own life I think!

Back on topic, I replaced my injector seals on the cam cover as they were leaking. A few quid for the 4 seals was nowt in comparison to 4 injectors, high and low pressure pumps etc etc!

Back