Another pulley question

Ljb

I’ve written previously about a VW T5 Campervan that I put a deposit on then was told that it broke down between the garage and dealership after having the cam belt replaced. I was told by the salesman that the cambelt pulley had failed and advice from this forum was that this could have caused damage to various components in the engine so it did not look sensible to go ahead with the purchase.

I’ve now managed to speak to the garage to get more details. The battery warning light came on and engine stopped apparently about a mile into the three mile journey. No knocking from the engine.They put it on a loader and took it back to the garage where they found that a pulley had worn (apparently only evident when they inspected the underside of the pulley) and this affected the fuel timing putting it out between 5 and 8 degrees and stopping the engine. They say they replaced the timing pulley and cog.

I just wanted to double check people’s thoughts on possible damage caused by the worn belt before the engine stopped? The dealer has now offered me a two year RAC warranty and a years breakdown cover and they and the garage say it is working fine with no damage caused but I would like to know what opinion the members of the forum might have on this

They had replaced the cam belt using the full cam belt kit.

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate people taking the time to comment on this

Back