Any Reason Not To Trim This?

Ann3x

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Planning out my fridge's location in my conversion and it would make a big difference to fridge choice if I could trim away either of the metalwork parts below from the DS passenger area:

IMG_20190309_194600.jpg

Especially the lower one!

Any strong structural reason to leave either of these in place or can I safely remove?

I think @Fish discussed this on his build thread - the top bar is there to stop the panel being pushed inwards easily, and the lower section of metal appears to function solely to fix interior panels to.
So you should be good to remove.

Lower one is structural.
Center one is for panel strength.. therefore if you remove this for fitting a fridge etc then be aware that if someone presses against the panel to get in a car, parked next to you,they it may dent easily.

You'll need to sound proof..

Lower one is structural.
Center one is for panel strength.. therefore if you remove this for fitting a fridge etc then be aware that if someone presses against the panel to get in a car, parked next to you,they it may dent easily.

You'll need to sound proof..
It's sound proofed and insulated already so that bit at least should be fine.

What Id like to do is remove the cross bar to put a tank in (like you have in fact) and trim a 40cm gap in the lower strip so I can recess the fridge slightly.

If the lower one is structural - I guess thats a bad idea.... :(

That tank allows no real movement back for the fridge,maybe 20mm(thickness of the bar.

I have dynamatted the outer skin then put 12mm closed cell foam,Tank and panel.. the 12mm foam acts as an insulator as well as a protector.

I have dynamatted the outer skin then put 12mm closed cell foam,Tank and panel.. the 12mm foam acts as an insulator as well as a protector.
Similar. I've silent coated outer panel then 12mm insulation over that.

I only need 30mm of recess to fit the fridge I want (50l vitifrigo) and still have my bench slide fully. Think that's too cramped ?

Other options are a smaller 40l fridge or a bigger recess and use a different water tank approach.

Similar. I've silent coated outer panel then 12mm insulation over that.

I only need 30mm of recess to fit the fridge I want (50l vitifrigo) and still have my bench slide fully. Think that's too cramped ?

Other options are a smaller 40l fridge or a bigger recess and use a different water tank approach.
Decisions decisions.

Decisions decisions.
Is your 20mm measurement of space distance from tank side to panel interior?

I won't be using a panel there so if so, it might work with the recess cut and tank.

Right, from a little play around and the amount of flex / shaping there is already on the metalwork tab. I think the bottom metalwork in my picture is non-structural and just there to attach panels to. So I'm going to trim it and recess the bigger fridge.

If my van breaks in 2 I'll know it was a bad choice :).

couldnt you use a fridge with a compressor that could be located elsewhere?

couldnt you use a fridge with a compressor that could be located elsewhere?

Considered it but it'd mean using a smaller fridge (eg the 42l vitrifrigo) and with 2 young kids the extra fridge space would be useful.

Back