Away and clutch pedal sticking

Paul Sussex

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi, away in Weymouth and my clutch pedal feels wrong and is occasionally sticking down - give it another press and (so far) it has come up again - sometimes feels crunchy when pressed (if that makes sense).

Also on low revs in first / reverse it judders.

Checked fluid and that is fine so thinking might be release bearing.

Going home Friday (150 miles) any thoughts what it might be and if likely to get me home.

I’m taking my sons dog back with us (for a holiday whilst he is in hospital as just had early twins and don’t want him to get distressed (and also my youngest son is with me) so worried will get stuck on a motorway for hours.

Alternative is to try and get it fixed in Weymouth but don’t know what is a good or bad garage here or if can fit me in.

Fingers crossed it is covered by used van warranty (Freedom Warranties - Platinum).

Not sure what to do any advice appreciated.

I had this on my Leon, was a failing master cylinder. I’ve heard of similar symptoms with slave cylinder failure, which is more hassle to sort out I believe. Unsure what release bearing failure feels like. My experience sounds like yours, although I had to pull up the pedal by getting my foot underneath, far from ideal. I would have a look at garages near you if possible. 150 miles with a dodgy clutch pedal sounds like a bad day in the making! If it is a cylinder going, I believe they can isolate the issue by clamping the hose after the master and before the gear box (slave cylinder). Mine was sorted on warranty with no issues. Sorry I can’t be more helpful and hope you get it sorted quickly and easily!

Thank Jay-D, all input is welcome and does sound similar - will see if anyone can see me tommorow- as you say not going to be a fun drive home

I had this on my Leon, was a failing master cylinder. I’ve heard of similar symptoms with slave cylinder failure, which is more hassle to sort out I believe. Unsure what release bearing failure feels like. My experience sounds like yours, although I had to pull up the pedal by getting my foot underneath, far from ideal. I would have a look at garages near you if possible. 150 miles with a dodgy clutch pedal sounds like a bad day in the making! If it is a cylinder going, I believe they can isolate the issue by clamping the hose after the master and before the gear box (slave cylinder). Mine was sorted on warranty with no issues. Sorry I can’t be more helpful and hope you get it sorted quickly and easily!
Sorry forgot to say no tools - apart from a Swiss Army knife - lesson learnt

Also not sure if I can get anyone to look at it tomorrow- so that is scary
Is it mainly motorway miles? Hopefully not too much shifting required. Tbh mate if it’s slave cylinder it would likely be a box out job so not sure if you’d have it done in a day anyway. Just take it steady and be prepared to bring the pedal back up.

Thanks again Jay-D, think most likly that will be the option - super scary!

If any one see a blue r.6 between Weymouth and Worthing give me a beep

Thanks again Jay-D, think most likly that will be the option - super scary!

If any one see a blue r.6 between Weymouth and Worthing give me a beep
You’ll be right mate! If it’s sticking intermittently and only just started, there’s a good chance it will get you back. Mine took months to sort as seat pentagon were clueless on how to actually diagnose the issue, instead threw £2.5k in parts and labour on warranty! In that time it got only marginally worse. Let us know how you get on

You’ll be right mate! If it’s sticking intermittently and only just started, there’s a good chance it will get you back. Mine took months to sort as seat pentagon were clueless on how to actually diagnose the issue, instead threw £2.5k in parts and labour on warranty! In that time it got only marginally worse. Let us know how you get on
Thanks mate, will give it a go - probably not much choice m.

@Paul Sussex , I'm presuming your van has a 6-speed gearbox?
I had similar symptoms for several months with my T5. It was the clutch slave cylinder leaking and sticking. Your additional symptom of clutch judder kind of confirms it for me. I spend a while chasing the problem, changing the master cylinder and the bleed valve, before the slave cylinder. With a 5-speed, the slave is externally mounted, so could be changed fairly easily.

Unfortunately with the 6-speed, the slave cylinder is located inside the bellhousing, so it cannot be accessed without removing the gearbox. When it leaks, the amount of fluid lost is quite small, and probably won't be noticeable in the reservoir, but it can contaminate the clutch friction plate, resulting n the judder. Replacement requires removal of the gearbox, and most likely the clutch assembly, as it seems that the clutch wear is something that can cause the slave to start leaking. As you have judder, it is likely that the plates are contaminated, so will require changing. When dismantled, get the Dual Mass Flywheel checked and replaced if required. It is false economy not to. Mine needed replacing, but that was with over 200K miles on the clock. Overall this can get rather expensive.:(

On a positive note, if its only just started happening, you should make it home. I found lifting the pedal, then repeatedly giving it some short length pumps, restored operation. It mostly happened after the van had been sitting for a few hours or overnight. Enjoy the remainder of your holiday.

Thanks you so much Scottish
@Paul Sussex , I'm presuming your van has a 6-speed gearbox?
I had similar symptoms for several months with my T5. It was the clutch slave cylinder leaking and sticking. Your additional symptom of clutch judder kind of confirms it for me. I spend a while chasing the problem, changing the master cylinder and the bleed valve, before the slave cylinder. With a 5-speed, the slave is externally mounted, so could be changed fairly easily.

Unfortunately with the 6-speed, the slave cylinder is located inside the bellhousing, so it cannot be accessed without removing the gearbox. When it leaks, the amount of fluid lost is quite small, and probably won't be noticeable in the reservoir, but it can contaminate the clutch friction plate, resulting n the judder. Replacement requires removal of the gearbox, and most likely the clutch assembly, as it seems that the clutch wear is something that can cause the slave to start leaking. As you have judder, it is likely that the plates are contaminated, so will require changing. When dismantled, get the Dual Mass Flywheel checked and replaced if required. It is false economy not to. Mine needed replacing, but that was with over 200K miles on the clock. Overall this can get rather expensive.:(

On a positive note, if its only just started happening, you should make it home. I found lifting the pedal, then repeatedly giving it some short length pumps, restored operation. It mostly happened after the van had been sitting for a few hours or overnight. Enjoy the remainder of your holiday.
Thank you so much Scottish Scrutineer,

It is a 5 speed box so fingers crossed that is cheaper :) Good tip about the dual mass flywheel.

It is booked in at my local garage Thursday - warranty only covers labour at £55 per hour and total cost of £2,000 so will have to pay the difference on labour (but trust the garage - happy to pay difference and not sure I would find a garage charging £55) and hopefully the total stays under £2,000.

Back