Awning without an awning rail (suction cups & a tarp?)

Gunship

T6 Pro
I want an awning, but I don't want an awning rail - even the little low profile one.

Does anyone have an awning solution that perhaps uses suction cups or a magnetic connection to the van?

Has also been on my mind for a while as well, just big enough to open the sliding door in the rain.
I haven’t seen one to purchase but it should be fairly simple to make.

I've tried both, the magnet version is pants and will pull off with the slightest breeze,

the suction cup version is way better.,

we had the Kampa/Domecic version.

it worked very well at camper jam when we had a load van with no awning rail/

1717390222528.png1717390242435.png1717390232873.png

1717390447033.png

I've made small rain guards for the tailgate with magnets and I wouldn't use them for anything bigger.

We have tried to make a small "wing" type awning to cover the open door as well but magnets just don't have the strength to hold and the good suction cups are just too bulky to store.

I'm curious why you don't want the roof gutter type of rail, that's what we went for and it's all but invisible. It's a lot more solid than suction cups.

Most awnings (bigger ones though I guess) have the option to use straps that go over the van to connect the tunnel. We have an awning rail but used this option once when camped on a small pitch and wanted to get the awning closer to the van. Worked well if I remember correctly

Not keen on a rail as we have gone to some lengths to make sure our camper doesn't look like a camper where possible, just due to where it lives when parked and not in use - we have no visible external hook ups for water, gas or electricity, but do have a pop-top, albeit a Stealth B2 so we can get away with that. I like the look of the limpets - but that might be a bit tricky with a pop top :)

Thank you all.

If you have a pop top that's a rather important fact to mention when asking advice on how to mount awnings...

On a lot of pop tops there is the opportunity to have the rail under the pop top when it's down - is this an option for you?

As an aside I'd rate the rail I have fitted as more stealthy than any pop top. It would be even more so if you shortened it though that might limit your choice of awning/drive away.

Another option might be to fit multirails both sides as they are also a damn good gutter system and look more like styling trim.

Would the suction cup idea work if you have roof bars?

Is the tarp that comes with the kit wide enough to go over the bars?

Or does anyone know a way of attaching an awning rail to roof bars?

Last edited:
This is what I was thinking of but it's more for drive aways with a sleeve option:

Back