B2B Charger & Solar Setup

1Pearman

T6 Pro
Hi guys, recently come across from the T5 forum as i've upgraded to a T6 (2016 Shuttle SE BlueMotion DGS 150 Euro 6). I'm thinking about camping setup at the moment and want to get some feedback on the parts i'm thinking about using. The van is a daily driver but will be used for holidays and weekends away.

Renogy DCC50S 12V 50 Amp with MMPT
eBay wiring kit (I can only find 60 Amp, but would prefer 100 Amp as i think if all loads were drawing whilst charging from alternator it would be over 60 Amps or very close to)
110 AH AGM Leisure Battery (would possibly look to increase this at some stage nearer to 200 AH)
Renogy 150 Watt Flexible Solar Panel (sikaflexed onto a section of vinyl wrapped roof)
Possibly the Bluetooth BT-2 module for the charger later on

The above is to run a diesel night heater (probably a cheap eBay 5kw one, or a 2nd hand Eber), some LED's, various device charging from time to time, and a compressor fridge, on camping trips from 1 night to a couple of weeks April to October.

Let me know if everything sounds suitable and i'm not over/under speccing stuff for the intended use. I like the ideal of the combined B2B and solar charger even if it's at the expense of a little efficiency, and would be installing everything under the passenger double via the factory Aux battery cable that's under there. Sounds like i'll need to run the ignition +ve from the under dash fusebox.

Cheers

Hello @1Pearman and welcome to the forum. Martyn @travelvolts is the man to speak to for advice and also to supply all of your electrical system. He can supply all your components,chargers etc and can put a kit together for you with all wiring etc. @Dellmassive is also very knowledgable in these things. The one thing i did notice in your list is a 5kw heater. 2kw is more than enough generally in one of these vans,hope this helps

Thank you @Martin Gibson for the ping,

Welcome to T6F @1Pearman =]

when you ready come join the VIP club over here > https://www.t6forum.com/help/VIP_Membership/

for all the help and access to the sale & Download sections here > https://www.t6forum.com/downloads/

in the meantime . .

Have a Look at @travelvolts site here > Electrics | Travelvolts

and have a look over some posts over here :

more details here:

SOLAR:

POWER:

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread
Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use --
VIP Membership | VW T6 Forum - The Dedicated VW Transporter T6 Forum
For Sale - Summer-weekend-t6f Limited Edition External Stickers
For Sale - T6F Flags

Thanks guys, I got loads of really useful info from the T5 forum so i'm sure this one is just as great. I've already got some really usefull info where to find 12v socket fuses as my 2 up front were blown when I got the van - now fixed.

@Martin Gibson thanks for the heater point. I was basing this on the fact 5kw must be better than 2kw :think smile bounce:. As there's not much tech info on the Chinese heaters on eBay i hadn't thought of any implications, however i guess they will probably have a greater Amp draw from the leisure battery???Or maybe they are just physically bigger? I had an Eberspacher D2 in the T5 and that was perfect.

@Dellmassive I've been reading through your posts and the info is great. Thats where i've based my 100 Amp cable need from, so hopefully i've got that right for the loads and charging Amp's i'm looking at. I've had a look at various sites and can't find anywhere that does ready wired up 100 (or more) Amp wiring sets for B2B charging. As it's a one time installation with that gauge wire i don't really want to be buying special cutters and crimpers just for the few wires needed in that gauge. Does anyone do 'made to order kits' where i can specify length (i also don't need the big length of +ve from starter to B2B charger because i'll pick up the T6 Aux battery cable from under the seat right next to where i'll mount the charger.

Cheers

Great stuff. . .

One good way to get pre made wire kits for DC-DC etc installs is to look at ICE installs and power AMP kits.

as a rough guide 1000w amp will need about 100A . . . .

so if you look at 1000W Amplifier kits . . . . ( But remember some people quote the PEAK and not the RMS rating . . . so to be safe half ie ie 2000w kit is good for 1000w real power)

2000W Vibe kit:

1609605238970.png

another good source is welding cable . . . . . Amazon.co.uk : welding cable

Have a look over the sechamtics pages, some great info there . . . https://www.t6forum.com/threads/diagrams-schematics-wires-how-i-done-it.16329/

example . . . .

1609605489937.png

Back