Best Insurer for a Camper

The NFU renewal premium for my ‘motor caravan’ has increased by 25%, explained as due to increased repair costs (parts and labour).
Much the same as I’ve read with other insurance companies renewals. Will have a chat with them tomorrow and no doubt ‘there will be something we can do’!
They were voted Insurance Brand of the Year 2023 by Which so that’s some reassurance that when things go t1ts up there should be less hassle.
Caravan guard just quoted me £1084 but I have to park it in my house estates shared (unlit) car park. If I park it in front of my house in an allocated parking bay (think bus stop area), fully lit up and surrounded by houses…..:they won’t cover me

edit: £670 if I use my cars 16years NCB and park in the unsafe car park. However my car insurance goes crazy even though I’ll only have it a few months before selling it

Last edited:
just spoke to Caravanguard, they won’t cover me at all as the class the concrete overflow area by my house as on road parking and not open access storage area

Edit: £860 from Admiral but it’s really difficult know what to put for ‘modifications’. I did my best! Will ring them tkmorrow.

Last edited:
Caravan and motorhome club told me over the phone my renewal would be £430, 2 days later got an email saying it was £705. Tried to say it was due to changing from 5 seats to 4, all professionally doen with a RIB bed. Caravan guard have been the best yet at £450

I am curious we are at the start of a new month. Is insurance like other sales jobs, were there is targets to hit, and the closer you get to the end of month/a quarter/year do the offerings get better.

Just realised I was chasing in the last week of a month and got a decent deal including AV.

I am curious we are at the start of a new month. Is insurance like other sales jobs, were there is targets to hit, and the closer you get to the end of month/a quarter/year do the offerings get better.

Just realised I was chasing in the last week of a month and got a decent deal including AV.
The answer to your musings will be different for each insurer and for each brand within an insurer. What you're suggesting is not beyond the realms, but it's likely to be one factor amongst many that's fed in to their algorithm. Insurers certainly monitor incoming business and try to ensure their book of business matches as closely as possible to the risk-profile mandated by their underwriters and actuaries.

All this, by the way, is done by software (software I used to be responsible for implementing) and the bods you & I get to speak to are not privy to the whys & wherefores - they just press buttons and out pops an answer.

Locked us in for £860 with JustKampers. Full EU cover, 8000 miles, commuting, 2 people. Agreed £59k valuation but need to send pictures etc! They’re also sending us a tracker to fit (nano?)!

Basically parking on the road, just buying the van, and having 0ncb for van (15 for car), and £59k valuation is what’s killing us with insurers!

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
The NFU renewal premium for my ‘motor caravan’ has increased by 25%, explained as due to increased repair costs (parts and labour).
Much the same as I’ve read with other insurance companies renewals. Will have a chat with them tomorrow and no doubt ‘there will be something we can do’!
They were voted Insurance Brand of the Year 2023 by Which so that’s some reassurance that when things go t1ts up there should be less hassle.

Error in the above, increase was nearly 32%, they are taking the P1ss

Locked us in for £860 with JustKampers. Full EU cover, 8000 miles, commuting, 2 people. Agreed £59k valuation but need to send pictures etc! They’re also sending us a tracker to fit (nano?)!

Basically parking on the road, just buying the van, and having 0ncb for van (15 for car), and £59k valuation is what’s killing us with insurers!
I take it you couldn't find an insurer that would mirror your car NCB?

I take it you couldn't find an insurer that would mirror your car NCB?
Nope. Justkampers have given me a hearty discount for the 15 years apparently. I’ve had to send them proof.

Here’s a question, next year when I renew I probably won’t have the car, so that’s 15 years NCB ‘free to use’! Does that mean I can use them on the van, or does it have to be NCB I got from a van?

Nope. Justkampers have given me a hearty discount for the 15 years apparently. I’ve had to send them proof.

Here’s a question, next year when I renew I probably won’t have the car, so that’s 15 years NCB ‘free to use’! Does that mean I can use them on the van, or does it have to be NCB I got from a van?
You can use your car NCB on the van.

I transferred my MX-5 NCB to the van at JustKampers with no problems

Just had renewal through from Grove and Dean at £488, 5000 miles per annum with European and legal cover, value at 50k.
So tried Go Compare and Adrian Flux are a surprising £356 for the same cover which seems very cheap has anyone had any experience of this firm be it good or bad?

Thank you

Just had a renewal notice from Safeguard and it’s gone from £320 to £608, almost collapsed. Talk about taking the p**s.
Time to fire up the interweb device.

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
Do people add breakdown at time of renewal and find it works out cheaper that way or not ?
It may be good value if it’s your only vehicle but if you have other cars/drivers a multi car or personal policy will likely be much cheaper. Whatever, do check the conditions provide the cover you need.

Back