Bodywork scratch

james_bt6

Hi,

Just got back from a 2 week road trip in France. A lovely trip ended on a sour note when a #%^* head opened their door onto the side of my van when parked up in the ferry.

The van that hit mine was an Enterprise hire van and I have the number plate. When confronting the person saying you’ve just hit my van they denied it and walked off so can’t see a claim getting me anywhere.

That then brings me to my main question - are there any good home kits that will sort this? It has gone down to the bare metal so needs sorting to avoid rusting. I was looking into ChipEx but I’m finding mixed reviews.

Any advise would be massively appreciated.

IMG_3397.jpeg

IMG_3398.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
I’ve seen a few tutorials on youtube / instagram where they use a traditional razor blade like a filler knife to smooth the wet paint. I mixed a few drips of basecoat with a similar amount of lacquer so is was just one paint step. Needed a few applications to build it up.

I achieved acceptable results on SWMBOs car door that was down to the primer..IMG_1326.jpegIMG_1331.jpeg

If anyone did that to my van in front of me, they wouldn’t be getting off the ferry until I had their details!
It’s always a concern of mine on ferries, especially when you have little control over where you park. I always try to get back to my van as soon as possible to keep an eye on all the other passengers pushing past with their overnight luggage.

Try contacting Enterprise if it was their van it’s their insurance at least it will cause some Agro for whoever hired it even if you don’t get anywhere yourself

@james_bt6, it would help your case if you have a photo of the Enterprise van parked next to your van and if you had a witness - even if it's your Mrs or one of the kids. Together, these establish opportunity and probable cause, which is all your insurer needs to pursue the claim - they're working on 'the balance of probability', not 'proof beyond reasonable doubt'.

Back