California awning rail - advice please

Damobristol

Candy White T6
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi All,

I don't own a California but I am looking at adding an awning rail to the T6.1 I am purchasing.

The guy selling is doing some other stuff too - leisure battery, solar panel etc - and he has recommended the California awning rail. He doesn't want to fit any non-VW.

The thing is, it looks quite bulky from the photos I have seen. I have decided against a pop top partly because I prefer the cleaner lines of the van without one. (Can't afford a Skylow). I am a bit concerned that the awning rail will be too obtrusive, although I do have roof bars which will mean it may be less noticeable.

Does anyone have this fitted and could share some photos that show the rail from a wider a perspective? What are your thoughts on this set up?

I've got by using a tarp with the roof bars with my T6 which has been ok, but a bit fiddly. I'm undecided as to whether I will use a drive away awning or just get a stand alone tent I can use without the van if the mood takes me. (Can lend it to kids then, too). I may just wait until I make that call.

Many thanks

Screenshot_20240919-115538.png

One of the extra advantages of a side mounted awning rail (of any type) is it helps direct rain away from the side door opening, which is worth taking into account.

As a very personal opinion if I went with a side rail I think I'd go with the Reimo Multi Rail as that to me looks most likely styling rather than camping equipment, especially if one was put on both sides.

Back