Campervan Electric Kettle.....again

Robdog

Looking to buy a very small kettle for our T6.1 campervan, just to make tea in the morning. I thought OK ill have a look at a 12v options so we can use it when not on EHU. Go Outdoor do a Quest 12v rated at 150w, upon checking my Cigarette lighter socket from the Leisure battery its rated at 120w max. I'm guessing the 150w kettle plug/wiring would get pretty hot if we were to use it, also a post i read said it would take about 20mins to boil. I think that the T6.1 dash socket is also 120w rated so who would this 12v 150w kettle be aimed at?
In the end I've popped for a low wattage mains that will run from the vans 240v 3 pin sockets, ok I can only use it when on hook up but at least it will boil at a reasonable speed.

Is it potentially dangerous for GO to sell this Quest 150w kettle, I can think of many cig sockets that are rated more than 120w, even if its marketed for use in Trucks what lorry driver is going to wait 20m ins to boil some water?

Reactions: CAB
It's only when you come to try to heat things with electricity you generate yourself you really understand the huge amount of power the National Grid delivers to your house...

@Robdog if you on EHU get yourself a portable induction hob then you can cook on it as well but you will need an induction compatable kettle

It's only when you come to try to heat things with electricity you generate yourself you really understand the huge amount of power the National Grid delivers to your house...
Yep... having a campervan has certainly made me more aware of power usage

@Robdog if you on EHU get yourself a portable induction hob then you can cook on it as well but you will need an induction compatable kettle
Thanks,I've seen these and they look good but I pretty happy with gaz for cooking, the lecky kettle was just for boiling a small amount of water for the morning cuppa

Yeah boiling a kettle in a camper is only really doable on gas or 240v electrics with an inverter and kettle or induction hob. Unless you're happy to wait for about 20 minutes for your cuppa!

Thanks,I've seen these and they look good but I pretty happy with gaz for cooking, the lecky kettle was just for boiling a small amount of water for the morning cuppa
if your paying for EHU why cook with gas unless you get it for free and no flame fire risk

Another vote for jetboil, we keep ours in camper "just in case" really fast boiling.

I use a Thermos Food Flask (710 ml) boil a kettle last thing before bed. A good vacuum flask will keep the water hot enough for a brew in the morning, we also use instead of a tea pot.

Looking to buy a very small kettle for our T6.1 campervan, just to make tea in the morning. I thought OK ill have a look at a 12v options so we can use it when not on EHU. Go Outdoor do a Quest 12v rated at 150w, upon checking my Cigarette lighter socket from the Leisure battery its rated at 120w max. I'm guessing the 150w kettle plug/wiring would get pretty hot if we were to use it, also a post i read said it would take about 20mins to boil. I think that the T6.1 dash socket is also 120w rated so who would this 12v 150w kettle be aimed at?
In the end I've popped for a low wattage mains that will run from the vans 240v 3 pin sockets, ok I can only use it when on hook up but at least it will boil at a reasonable speed.

Is it potentially dangerous for GO to sell this Quest 150w kettle, I can think of many cig sockets that are rated more than 120w, even if its marketed for use in Trucks what lorry driver is going to wait 20m ins to boil some water?
In theory it would take 10 minutes to heat 250mls water from 20 to 100 degrees celsius - but that is under ideal situations where there is no heat loss to the surroundings and the element is able to deliver 150J/s to the water. In practice, forget it, given that the higher the temperature difference between the kettle and the air, the bigger that heat loss. So you would get all excited with it getting to about 80 degrees celsius and then get all deflated that it didn't get much hotter. You would then attempt to make tea with non boiling water, which quite frankly, is yuk.

Back