Camping with kids - success stories?

T5_Kombi_Rob

VIP Member
With our daughter approaching 2 y/o, and another on the way, I'm in two minds about continuing to use our van for camping. Its a Kombi, with a forty winks bend in the back, and currently our daughter has slept in a Kiravans bed across the front seats. We have used it for trips around the UK, but I want to be realistic about staying in it with 2 kids. The plan is/was to add a Poptop and Ovano bed system to give more sleeping space and better use of the rear load area. However, this will set me back approx. 5K at least, so I need some convincing that we will still want to use it with 4 of us. I'd rather not need to sleep in an awning as that defeats the point of the van. Opinions and experiences either way are welcome!

When ours were smaller, they were excited about sleeping in the pop-top in our camper. You need to be organised, and disciplined about putting stuff away, and then it can work well.

Now they are teens, we use a pop-up family tent (that we had before the van) for them, and we stay in the van. Awning occasionally if we are staying a few nights.

Cheers drinfinity, sounds good. After spending 2 weeks in Scotland this year, organisation and discipline is a given! That's partly why I think an Ovano drawer system is needed, saves rearranging boxes every time you want to get something out.

With our daughter approaching 2 y/o, and another on the way, I'm in two minds about continuing to use our van for camping. Its a Kombi, with a forty winks bend in the back, and currently our daughter has slept in a Kiravans bed across the front seats. We have used it for trips around the UK, but I want to be realistic about staying in it with 2 kids. The plan is/was to add a Poptop and Ovano bed system to give more sleeping space and better use of the rear load area. However, this will set me back approx. 5K at least, so I need some convincing that we will still want to use it with 4 of us. I'd rather not need to sleep in an awning as that defeats the point of the van. Opinions and experiences either way are welcome!
They’ll love it! Sounds like you have an ideal van for converting.

When we had a young family, we had a succession of increasingly larger frame tents. Kids need space, trying to entertain 2 growing kids in the relatively tiny space afforded by a camper is going to be hard work. Great when the weather is fine, but no fun for anyone when it’s inclement.
We took our daughter camping when she was 6 weeks old & continued to do so until she fledged the nest. Camping is a great character builder for kids, it teaches resilience & self reliance. Whichever route you take, stick at it, your kids will thank you when they’re older.

When we had a young family, we had a succession of increasingly larger frame tents. Kids need space, trying to entertain 2 growing kids in the relatively tiny space afforded by a camper is going to be hard work. Great when the weather is fine, but no fun for anyone when it’s inclement.
We took our daughter camping when she was 6 weeks old & continued to do so until she fledged the nest. Camping is a great character builder for kids, it teaches resilience & self reliance. Whichever route you take, stick at it, your kids will thank you when they’re older.

Yeah, having a 'lightweight' setup has worked for having 1, but I think a reasonable sized awning is the way to go for living space, we've got a Vango kela which hasn't had any use this year as we have only stayed at the same place for a max of 2 nights.

I’m exploring options as I’ve got 3 young boys (9,7 and 3) so trying to decide the best route. For weeks away we’ve already got a big tent so my van will only be for the odd stopover. But I’ve got a friend at work with 2 young boys and a T6 and his advice was 1) Get an awning 2) Get an awning and 3) Get an awning!

I’m exploring options as I’ve got 3 young boys (9,7 and 3) so trying to decide the best route. For weeks away we’ve already got a big tent so my van will only be for the odd stopover. But I’ve got a friend at work with 2 young boys and a T6 and his advice was 1) Get an awning 2) Get an awning and 3) Get an awning!
Having had a couple of driveaway awnings, I wouldn't go down that route again. The "Driveaway" bit is a PITA & IMHO brings nothing to the party. You may as well use the tent you already have & park the van in whatever way suits the pitch & weather.

Back