Can I charge my leisure battery without disconnecting,?

DrewThom

VIP Member
I have a Sterling BBS1230 b2b charger and a 100ah LiFpO4 battery. Looking at the NOCO genius 10a. Can I hardwire this to the leisure battery and just plug it in to top up or do I need to disconnect the leisure battery before charging?

Reactions: CAB
Shouldn't be a problem? The B2B won't be affected.

Most setups have more than one way of charging, the battery doesn't care where the power is coming from, and chargers are all designed so as to cope with other chargers being connected.

I have a Sterling BBS1230 b2b charger and a 100ah LiFpO4 battery. Looking at the NOCO genius 10a. Can I hardwire this to the leisure battery and just plug it in to top up or do I need to disconnect the leisure battery before charging?
Standard practice to connect B2B/Solar/Mains chargers all to the battery & let them fight it out amongst themselves. The battery always wins.

Standard practice to connect B2B/Solar/Mains chargers all to the battery & let them fight it out amongst themselves. The battery always wins.
NB. Some mains chargers don’t like being connected to a battery that is also powering devices at the same time as the charger is connected. The charger sees the discharge of the battery as a fault & ceases to charge. I had this with an Optimate charger. This type of charger expects to see a battery disconnected from all loads, charge up and then reconnected, as in a mobility scooter or golf caddy for example. In our situation, we may be charging a battery that is simultaneously powering a fridge or lights, the charger sees this drain as a fault & switches off.

Reactions: CAB
No problem.

Just connect and go.

I have seen an issue with a noco charger connected for extended period.... Ie Days. With camping loads connected.

Basically the charger thinks the battery is knackered and stops charging..

So as a battery charger the noco is good.

As a charger/ leisure support device you may come to my findings.... The easy fix is to reboot the charger..

Or look at the Victron 15A chargers that don't do that.

More info...

And....

But the noco jump packs are awesome.

Back