Cannot get wheel off to repair puncture

KRB

Morning peeps I’ve got a re occurring problem changing a wheel. Picked up a puncture yesterday and can’t get the wheel off had this on my previous T5 as the alloy and steel hub weld them selves together Now it’s happened again on my T6 anyone got any suggestions to stop this, if I had to change the wheel on the road side it would be near impossible and dangerous.

Tyre shops will use a heavy rubber mallet and smash the inside of the rim, rotate 90 then smash again.... And repeat untill the wheel brakes free. (Assuming the van is jacked up safely and securely).

Or the old skool garage trick as above is to apply a small amount of copper grease to the hub surface to prevent the corrosion sticking.

On new to me cars I buzz the hub with a wire brush in the cordless drill, clean the backface of the wheel centre with scotchbrite (a kitchen scouring pad will do the same)then a smear of coppa slip.

The usual tricks to get it off are back heel it on the tyre (I remove 4 of the bolts and slacken the 5th when doing this) OR drive a short distance forwards & backwards with all the bolts slackened. Most times I’ve got the wheel off by hitting the tyre alternately at 9 & 3 o’clock with my palms.

Oh, and always undo and re-torque wheel bolts when we get a new to us vehicle and after new tyres fitted. Undoing overtight bolts with the piddly spanner at the side of the road is no fun!

Sledge hammer works-to a point.
I came back to a flat on my Discovery years ago on a car park in the pouring rain and no amount of kicking and banging would get it off so I went to a nearby building site and borrowed a sledge hammer. Boom job done.
New alloy required abviously, but I’m not big on patience unfortunately.

Oh, and always undo and re-torque wheel bolts when we get a new to us vehicle and after new tyres fitted. Undoing overtight bolts with the piddly spanner at the side of the road is no fun!
Do you know the torque setting for the wheels thanks

Do you know the torque setting for the wheels thanks
Standard VW alloys such as Devonports are 180Nm. Forget the little wheel brace for removal-buy a breaker bar and a good 19mm socket.

Clean off any corrosion and apply some copper grease
Past experience on my old t5 was the dealer cleaned it off or the grease disappeared probably the first. Never had this problem with cars. Still trying to get it of problem is the tyre deflates in 10 mins got a 30 min drive to a tyre fitter.

Before smacking it from behind with a hammer, ensure you have at least one bolt left in screwed in a couple of threads. You don't want the wheel falling off once the seal is broken and falling on it's face.

Before smacking it from behind with a hammer, ensure you have at least one bolt left in screwed in a couple of threads. You don't want the wheel falling off once the seal is broken and falling on it's face.
I’ve got the wheel off now and puncture repaired estimate 3hours to get it off. I will be removing the others to avoid this happening again thanks to everyone for their help

If I ever bought a brand new van I’d be asking the dealer to remove and lube the wheel spigots before I took delivery.
It’s not fit for purpose if you need to use a sledge hammer to remove a wheel on the side of the road.

Whilst you're thinking about it, swap the locking nuts for standard ones too. That'll be the next thing to get stuck then chewed up trying to remove it.

Whilst you're thinking about it, swap the locking nuts for standard ones too. That'll be the next thing to get stuck then chewed up trying to remove it.
And get a breaker bar + socket to use and keep in the van, instead of the crappy tyre iron that comes with it

Didn’t I read on here somewhere not to use copper slip or similar on the mating faces as it affects the safety? Could be wrong of course

Didn’t I read on here somewhere not to use copper slip or similar on the mating faces as it affects the safety? Could be wrong of course
You are correct, should be wheel to hub with a good coating of Nothing! Metal to metal whether steel of alum’ alloy.
A small smear on the spigot face, the part which is seizing the wheel on is OK.

Back