Certification query

Corky

VIP Member
I have a T6.1 2022 conversion with a Rusty Lee rock and roll bed. The company that converted and sold it to me from new have disappeared/gone bust!

I am now living and working abroad trying to register the van and the testing station insist on seeing certificates for the bed and roof. I have contacted Rusty Lee direct without success / response to date.

Would anyone know any way around this demand or have such certificates they would share? I've already changed the headlights to LHD and passed everything else but without these papers I've basically got a £50k brick! Getting very desperate so any assistance is very much appreciated.

Last edited:
If the company that fitted it all have wound up then the only option I can think of would be to find another conversion company who might be willing to examine rhe installation and certify it themselves. You can bet it won't be cheap though.

Best of luck.

Are you referring to the M1 crash certificate for the bed? What kind of cert for the roof? There’s no real certification for installs that I’m aware of.
Installs would probably be on a simple A4 locally printed confirmation?

The M1 cert is a type cert not an installation cert I believe so if you know the manufacturer you could one get something from them. If it was made by the conversion company then you may indeed have a 2 ton brick

I sold a boat to a German chap a few years ago. When he took it back to Germany, he couldn’t get approval for the trailer, even though it was EU type approved & plated. The TUV wouldn’t issue a registration document for it (trailers have to be registered & tested with their own number plate in many EU countries). After much buggeration, he ended up selling the trailer into The Netherlands, who aren’t as fussy, and buying a new German trailer. This might be the easiest outcome for the OP, considering that the steering wheel will always be on the wrong side. Failing that, he could swap the bed & swivels for something more locally compliant.

What about an inspection by an automotive engineer. That's what I had to do in Australia after conversion.
Maybe a possibility.

If it's France you are unlikely to get it through their certification. I have heard of several converted T3s being brought back to the UK as they couldn't get approval for them.

It might help to know what country is the problem. Russia? Taiwan? Saudi Arabia? Without this vital info everyone will just be floundering around in the dark.

Reactions: CAB
Back