Charging via Sargent EC155

Molldog

T6 Guru
May seem a daft question.
Hooked up to the mains to charge the leisure battery.
I have the EC155 unit switched on. Does the control panel need to be switched on also?
Also, does the vehicle battery recharge whilst hooked up?

does the vehicle battery recharge whilst hooked up?
Doubt it - but can't be certain without more details of the specific install in your van!

I have the EC155 unit switched on. Does the control panel need to be switched on also?
Possibly - again without details of the install, difficult to say...

We love pictures on here! :thumbsup: ;)

After lots of reading through some amazing posts I just want to make sure I've got my situation right here.

Possibly looking to replace the battery in my Van to a newer one and can see that the EC155 is very picky on what batterys it will charge.

this is my current set up below in the images.

Question is am I correct that after reading through a lot on here I have a EC155 with a DC - DC charger, so with this set up I have more options on which battery I can upgrade to.

Thanks in advance

IMG_3719.jpeg

IMG_3720.jpeg

IMG_3721.jpeg

You have an EC155 and a Sterling DC-DC charger.

As covered on quite a few other threads this will only let you use a conventional lead acid leisure battery as is.

Depending on the model of the Sterling (please get a clearer picture of the front) it may be LiFePo capable, but the "charger" built into the EC155 is just a 13.8v power supply and isn't really compatible with lithium.

Moving to a LiFePo based system will mean you need to ensure the EC155 "charger" is off (ideally disabled) and a LiFePo capable charger like a Victron IP22/IP65 charger is fitted to charge off 240v.

You have an EC155 and a Sterling DC-DC charger.

As covered on quite a few other threads this will only let you use a conventional lead acid leisure battery as is.

Depending on the model of the Sterling (please get a clearer picture of the front) it may be LiFePo capable, but the "charger" built into the EC155 is just a 13.8v power supply and isn't really compatible with lithium.

Moving to a LiFePo based system will mean you need to ensure the EC155 "charger" is off (ideally disabled) and a LiFePo capable charger like a Victron IP22/IP65 charger is fitted to charge off 240v.
I seen your reply to the other guy asking not so long ago and yes my Sterling has the LiFePo symbol on there also.

Is this something you do for a living really dont know who to go to for upgrades without being attempted to be sold something I dont need

Cheers

Nope sorry this is just a nerdy past time helping out other owners with electrical knowledge in the hope that one day the favour can be returned with my terrible mechanical knowledge!

The main thing to defend against being sold something you don't need is knowledge, and hopefully here the forum helps.

The important question to answer is maybe why you want to change the battery?

Nope sorry this is just a nerdy past time helping out other owners with electrical knowledge in the hope that one day the favour can be returned with my terrible mechanical knowledge!

The main thing to defend against being sold something you don't need is knowledge, and hopefully here the forum helps.

The important question to answer is maybe why you want to change the battery?
To be fair the current system hasnt let us down and we now carry a DJI Power 1000 also for other bits and peices. I was possibly looking to add a 12v Starlink system to the van

The battery is now 4 years old and if I hadnt read up on this over the last few days I might have just bought a new battery, probably from halfords and the biggest I could fit in the van where it sits now. I didnt even know before today that I may not be able to switch to an AGM battery.

All very new and very confusing

If the system is giving you what you need right now then no real reason not to replace with a good quality leisure battery (don't get a starter battery it will age very quick) and it will be more economical.

The system you have is a competent touring and occasional night off grid system so long as you keep the battery in good health.

To be fair the current system hasnt let us down and we now carry a DJI Power 1000 also for other bits and peices. I was possibly looking to add a 12v Starlink system to the van

The battery is now 4 years old and if I hadnt read up on this over the last few days I might have just bought a new battery, probably from halfords and the biggest I could fit in the van where it sits now. I didnt even know before today that I may not be able to switch to an AGM battery.

All very new and very confusing
I have an AGM battery with the Sargent, been running fine (touch wood) since jan 2020. I did fit a victron dc-dc charger though as it came with a split relay. Would like to upgrade when it does give up (which must be soon) to have less worry but mostly on EHU on sites so don’t really need it

If the system is giving you what you need right now then no real reason not to replace with a good quality leisure battery (don't get a starter battery it will age very quick) and it will be more economical.

The system you have is a competent touring and occasional night off grid system so long as you keep the battery in good health.
Im finding myself going for 2 or 3 days off grid but with driving inbetween. As I say the batter is 4/5 years old now so im just trying to be prepared for the impending doom of it

If the existing battery is 4/5 years old then it's likely near or at the end of its useful life - and actually for a leisure battery that's a good age as we see many folks have ones needing replacement after 2 years.

That suggests your current system is a good a fit for your use.

I've used Tanya batteries for replacement batteries a few times and have been happy with the service.

Personally I wouldn't change to something like AGM, there isn't really enough advantages over a standard flooded battery these days compared with the LiFePo option. The Sterling will charge them optimally (so long as you change profile) but the "charger" in the PDU won't as AGMs need slightly higher voltage - it won't do any harm though.

If you wanted to change then you'd be looking at a Victron 240v charger, which by the looks of it you have room for, and a 100Ah region LiFePo with low temperature charging protection built in.
I believe if you can get to the looms for the EC155 there should be a 240v feed from that 6 amp breaker that you could use for an external charger, and take out the 12v fuse to disconnect the internal power supply.

But right now my view would be a new standard leisure battery is going to be in the region of £150 and not much more than a tank of fuel. That's likely to keep you going just fine for a couple of years and LiFePo is only getting better and cheaper as time goes by.

Thank you so much for your time!

Could you recommend the largest battery to work with my current setup so I don't have to change anything other than a new battery

Cheers in advance

That's really hard to do remotely.

If you have a good look at the top of the current battery and search for it you should find it at somewhere like Tanya Batteries - and that should tell you the physical size and terminal type.

Then you need to find something of the same size and terminal type that is described as "wet" or "flooded" and "leisure" and look for the highest Ah rating (which is the electrical capacity)

so...

heres the Charger which as per your advice on the previous thread I can see is LiFePo friendly

IMG_3741.jpeg

And the current battery which I found here

I would be up for a bit of an upgrade if it was simple enough

IMG_3744.jpeg

My next challenge is also adding another light to the lighting circiut, they have done such a good job of tidying things up and taping things away I cant tell whats what.

The battery is snug in that location but I can go longer as I have lots of room to the front and back of it.

Thanks again for all your help, I can see you're only in Southampton which Is only up the road, I think I owe you a beer

Last edited:
So that Bison battery looks like a Group 31 size battery, they don't seem that available online but this link seems to give a size reference:

So any of these should be a direct replacement. Your current battery has the dual terminal type (post and bolt), but you are only using the post:

Whilst not listed as a Group 31 this battery from Numax seems to have the same case size but 120Ah capacity:

I'd rather not recommend a specific battery as I simply don't buy them often enough to have a wide knowledge, I personally would tend towards Varta or Yausu brands but there don't seem to be good options for those brands in your size.

thats amazing thank you so much for your help, Ill probably go with the Numax but like I say I've got the space to go longer just not really wider.

So that Bison battery looks like a Group 31 size battery, they don't seem that available online but this link seems to give a size reference:

So any of these should be a direct replacement. Your current battery has the dual terminal type (post and bolt), but you are only using the post:

Whilst not listed as a Group 31 this battery from Numax seems to have the same case size but 120Ah capacity:

I'd rather not recommend a specific battery as I simply don't buy them often enough to have a wide knowledge, I personally would tend towards Varta or Yausu brands but there don't seem to be good options for those brands in your size.
Ordered the Numax 120ah, like you say the system is working and not let us down so why change anything.

Thanks again for all your help

Back