Clearing a frosty windscreen.

tram

Engineer
T6 Pro
I should have got a heated windscreen. Live and learn.

Anyway, the problem is this: when I stay at my girlfriend's, it is a terraced street scenario, so lots of houses and vehicles parked up the street. I often wake very early and leave early. In summer it is easy, I just compose myself in the van, start the engine and smoothly and lightly drive away without any disruption to neighbours. But in the winter, when there has been a hard frost, I can't run the engine for ten minutes to warm and clear everything to be able to drive (my number one golden driving rule to myself is to be able to see clearly and to keep my eyes on where I am going).

If I scrape the ice off the outer windscreen and spray on some deicer it doesn't seem to do the necessary well enough, and the interior windscreen is often misty/icy.

So, what can I do to quietly get things clear enough to drive?

I have a silvered windscreen cover thing which I bought from a car shop for a couple of quid, and I haven't used this yet. I suppose you simply put it on the windscreen, held down with the wipers, then when removed the ice will be on that. I will be trying with this. But I don't think it will sort it out enough.

So I am asking you folks what have you found which works best to silently clear a frosty windscreen?

In the meantime, I will conduct my own experiments over this winter and report back on this thread periodically, and hopefully we may find some useful solutions to clearing ice from a windscreen quietly so as safe enough to drive.

I had the same issues as you (thankfully I now have a heated screen, although yet to use it)
Anyway, there's a guy in Leicester that makes these Deluxe VW Transporter T6 T5 Window Front Screen Curtain Wrap Cover Windshield | eBay
They take about a minute to fit, and 20 seconds to remove, and leave the front and side windows perfectly clear inside and out.
(Tip. I purchased some tiny magnets to pop over any material that might flap against the paintwork in the wind)

He made one for my Vivaro, which he did for free because it was the first new shape Vivaro he'd had, and used mine for a template and the pictures on his adverts. They work really well, and are not expensive, plus secure behind the closed door, so not easy to pinch.
I sometimes leave home at silly o clock, and this was much better than sitting with the engine running, or scrapping the screen.

I actually still have it, but we use it now to stop machine polishing compound covering the screens of the Motorhomes we Restore, but I would buy another one for the T6 if I didn't have the heated screen.

Last edited:
Windscreen cover definitely works. Partially works parking under a tree so that windscreen is in a shadow, or next to a building.

When forgot to put on the cover on my T5, started the engine, turned heater windscreen only, full blast. Then poured warm water (+40C) slowly to top of windscreen so all the energy will be used to melt the frost when water slowly flows down in the frost. Usually just a liter has been enough but certainly two is better. Works down to -15C, when -20C or below - more challenging...

I live at the end of a culdesac. I'm possibly missing your point as even when I leave for work at 2 or 3am have no issues when having the van sat idling whilst the heaters defrost the screen. Most houses have double glazing these days. For me anyway even in a culdesac I'm used to engines running and it's become a noise that doesn't even register.

I live at the end of a coldisac. I'm possibly missing your point as even when I leave for work at 2 or 3am have no issues when having the van sat idling whilst the heaters defrost the screen. Most houses have double glazing these days. For me anyway even in a coldisac I'm used to engines running and it's become a noise that doesn't even register.

Coldisac? Sounds uncomfortable.

When I have to use the car with no heated windscreen I find a couple of litres of warm (not hot) water tipped out of an old milk carton does the trick. Mind you if its really cold it will refreeze, works most of the time though.

Boil a kettle, half full, top up with cold water then pour! Never broke a screen in my life!

Last edited:
I keep a watering can of cold tap water with a dash of washing up liquid in it, just inside my front door in case of frosty mornings - works a treat on my car.
Alternatively I use the van and press the heated windscreen switch :)

I use the tepid water approach and check the wipers are not stuck, if so peel from one end. Then use wipers to clear the water before it freezes again. Personally I wouldn't add washing up liquid because it is a detergent and likely to remove some wax off my paint.

We have a small pump spray bottle with neat washer fluid. We keep it by the back door so for those bad frost mornings we can just quickly give it the once over.

Mrs Loz is the first one out so she often does ours and the neighbors if it’s really bad.

Could install a night heater... set the timer 30mins before you leave.. Or have a heated screen fitted, mate has had a t6 one fitted into his 5 works a treat

Extension lead + heater..
Wake up, turn power on and then unplug lead before driving off..

If your posh you can add a plug timer into the mix..

Back