Coolant level low. What to top it up with?

bully85

Just had a lot of work done and checked fluid level this morning and it’s low.
Would it be ok to top up this amount with deionised water?cambelt and pump just done can’t see a leak so assuming just air.
Just didn’t want to dilute it to much and of course the garage is closed today.
IMG_7882.jpeg

Much better you top up with coolant, However using deionised water is the next best.

Much better you top up with coolant, However using deionised water is the next best.
I would agree but have a good drive today and unsure about driving it this low to fine the correct spec which I am unsure of also.was just worried about diluting new fluid

Sorry, got the impression you had no choice but to drive today.
Order online for next day delivery if concerned about dilution.

Sorry, got the impression you had no choice but to drive today.
Order online for next day delivery if concerned about dilution.
I was thinking about gsf only 2miles away but can’t confirm what’s already in there so might just use the water

Well topped it up did about 15miles checked again when cold and was down again good look with a light and can sell pink fluid around the auxiliary belt.managed to get a swab down there and pretty sure it’s fluidIMG_7927.jpegIMG_7928.jpegIMG_7924.jpeg

IMG_7927.jpeg

You paid the garage, take it back, hopefully the water pump isn’t leaking.

You paid the garage, take it back, hopefully the water pump isn’t leaking.
Would the coolant dropping on the aux belt cause any damage or anything?going to ring on Monday I had to wait nearly 2months for this booking alone.was meant to travel for a birthday meal today so gutted about that and have had to book tomorrow off work to sort it with them.

Would the coolant dropping on the aux belt cause any damage or anything?going to ring on Monday I had to wait nearly 2months for this booking alone.was meant to travel for a birthday meal today so gutted about that and have had to book tomorrow off work to sort it with them.
Unlikely to cause any damage if it’s a very small leak unless the coolant has entered the bearings on the timing belt pulleys, the coolant will have evaporated off and left a residue, make sure this gets cleaned properly.
If they need to remove the timing belt make sure it’s fitted back in the same position (not reversed) unless they renew it.
IMO if the mechanic has damaged the water pump O ring when installing the pump, failed to fill the coolant to check before re-assembling the timing gear you might want to use a different garage in the future.

Unlikely to cause any damage if it’s a very small leak unless the coolant has entered the bearings on the timing belt pulleys, the coolant will have evaporated off and left a residue, make sure this gets cleaned properly.
If they need to remove the timing belt make sure it’s fitted back in the same position (not reversed) unless they renew it.
IMO if the mechanic has damaged the water pump O ring when installing the pump, failed to fill the coolant to check before re-assembling the timing gear you might want to use a different garage in the future.
I went with the best local independent I could find maybe it was a off day.sunset vw derby

Just to close thread went back this morning very apologetic and said would look at it right away.
4 hours later called to says faulty water pump seal and as gesture of good will replaced my pas fluid and ask about earlier.

Did you plead with them not to touch another fluids system?

Did you plead with them not to touch another fluids system?
Not this time was just happy to have some coolant stay in the tanktbh they are highly rated and I suppose things can happen.check them out sunset vw derby

Back