CTEK D+

B19DRG

VW Main Dealer
T6 Guru
Hi I'm just after a very quick bit of advise , I have tried the search function on this but no answer !

So in brief I'm moving across from the AGM instillation done by Sidepods many years ago and heading into lithium , now I know my Ctek is an old model with no Lithium profile and will be changed however as my van is Euro 6 with the Smart split charge system and looking at the wires coming out of the CTEK should these not be connected to the ignition as per the manual ?

On post A on the Ctek it has a wire coming from the Vehicle starter battery and then to the Leisure battery ... the lights on the CTEK show leisure battery is being charged by Alternator so guess all is ok ?

a.jpg

The two option wires on the CTEK only need to be connected to a +12v source, ground or left floating - they are a switch not an ignition sense.

The manual is confusing as it uses the ignition on signal as an example of a good +12v source, leading many to think that switched the CTEK "on" but that's not the case. Any reliable +12v will be fine, in your case the permanent feed from the van electrics it seems and I've seen the Leisure Battery used as well.

And if you are wondering what does switch the charger on, study the voltage settings in the manual - but ignore the ones for the SmartPass documented in the same manual.

The CTEK 250 (old and new) is a solid if now a bit dated bit of kit, but it's manual seems deliberately obtuse.

Yeah battery had no clamp so have sorted a strap out , to be fair I have pulled a lot of it out as had Hook up before but the Ctek was velcroed in etc , but will be going down the Lithium route at some point so I will have it nice and tidy …

You should have a ignition signal as per the diagram @Absolut5 mentioned. Post A (in) should have an input from alternator and then output through post (+out) to leisure battery. The 2nd cable on the post A should not be conected to teh leisure battery. I presume this is just a take off feed to something else form the main battery input?

Yeah it seems like its all wired perfectly as its been there for 7 years and used frequently without issue , ctek jumps into life after about 20 seconds and lights as it should showing the LB charging , the lead is ran from the starter battery to the CTEK ... but will all be changed up soon enough

Back