Damp Or Leaking Rear?

simonnwt6

T6 Pro
Hi all,
Not had a van before so unsure how damp condensation can make the rear of a van.

The vans sits for about 10 days at a time and during this it’s been cold and raining. Condensation on windscreen has come and gone.

van has roof bars- not fitted by me and ply in rear.
Bulkhead in place.

the ply feels damp floor and sides and has small areas of damp.

I don’t want to rip out the ply if it can just be condensation though.
I’ve left a cardboard box in the rear and that feels damp/soft over a week.

any suggestions? Or do I need to rip the ply out on floor and investigate in case the roof rails are leaking? There isn’t any sign of leaks in cab area.

thanks

S

It shouldn’t be that damp. Got any pictures of the damp spots i.e. roughly where are they and how damp ?

Pete

If you’re not driving the van for 10 days try drying out the inside with a heater, put a tarpaulin over the van roof and windows before the next heavy rain spell and see if it gets damp again.

Can’t see any runs going down from roof to first bit of ply.

no real damp spots it’s just all over feels damp. Floor more than sides. Tends to be more to the sides but the floor has risen at the join so it’s deffo swelled.

I’ll get a heater and try and get it dry.
Gave it a good airing today.

I found this thread helpful
Condensation?
My van also has a wet floor under the rubber mat and it shows up round the Kombi seat mounts. Looks a lot like condensation.
I have the multi rail roof channels but they are coming off and I have ordered new roof bolts to seal in properly.

Well and truly hammered down today. No drips from roof in back down to ply from what I can see.

would it be internal on the outer skin though if coming through the bolt holes?

I'd have a good luck at the roof rails, they are a known problem. In fact I'd take them off and re-fit using plenty of sealant.

Well and truly hammered down today. No drips from roof in back down to ply from what I can see.

would it be internal on the outer skin though if coming through the bolt holes?
only bolt holes should be roof rack points on roof gotter channels but these will have rubber washers underneath. I have seen vans with these bolts missing however:(:(

Back