dashboard dial backlight issues......

KevCox

Hi - am a tad perplexed....... the backlights on the dials are not always illuminated. When I turn on the ignition they come on and the dials are illuminated, when I start the engine they go out, although the needles are still illuminated red. When I turn the light switch on to side lights, no illumination but once on dip/full beam setting they come on.

Any help would be much appreciated - thank you all in advance.

Kev

The dials are designed not to be backlit when driving with DRLs only (discourages people driving around in the dark with just DRLs) and they're designed to illuminate when you have dip/full beam on. Not sure what's supposed to happen on sidelights though.

Hi - am a tad perplexed....... the backlights on the dials are not always illuminated. When I turn on the ignition they come on and the dials are illuminated, when I start the engine they go out, although the needles are still illuminated red. When I turn the light switch on to side lights, no illumination but once on dip/full beam setting they come on.

Kev
This is typical factory configuration behaviour.
You can change it by editing your Instrument Cluster EEPROM.

Alternatively back-light behaviour changes after firmware update.
See below.
Instrument cluster light colour change

Reactions: mmi
I have the same type of problem, it started as the "default" (not illuminated on side lights- ok with that). Recently they only illuminate on dip or main beam, now everyday driving is difficult as sometimes it is hard to see the detail.
Any ideas ?
Nick

I have the same type of problem, it started as the "default" (not illuminated on side lights- ok with that). Recently they only illuminate on dip or main beam, now everyday driving is difficult as sometimes it is hard to see the detail.
Any ideas ?
Nick
Isn’t that what was explained in post #2?
There is a manual adjuster for the brightness of the dash illumination on the dashboard.

Isn’t that what was explained in post #2?
There is a manual adjuster for the brightness of the dash illumination on the dashboard.
No not really as I explained normal driving, no lights on there is no back light (needles are illuminated) This condition has changed recently, i accept there would be no back light on sidelights to deter driving on sidelights, but now to see any numbers on the dash it has to be full sun or on dipped/main beam lights.

Further info this seems to be intermittent as today lights work as I would expect and have done since ownership, yesterday there was no back light on normal driving mode (lights off)

The light sensor is on the windscreen
DXX thanks for your patience, my van is a startline spec (POV spec and the yoofs today say) and doesn't have auto lights, its been fine but seems this is an intermittent fault, I suppose Ill have to wait until its fully broken before I can get it investigated, its just a bit of an annoyance.

Kev
did you ever get this sorted, if so how?

Back