Diesel Heater Exhaust Position?

Rob2489

Hi Guys,

We have just purchased a VW T6.1 swb, that has a ‘Yulkar’ diesel night heater. We are quite happy with the purchase apart from the location of the exhaust manifold (see pic) The seller who is a time served mechanic and a VW camper enthusiast! Told us that it is located there so it doesn’t burn the underneath plastic paneling?

I am either been told a load of crap, or the mechanic has ‘vast‘ experience in the fitting of these night heaters? I would be very grateful for some professional opions on this matter.

Thanks in advance

IMG_4679.jpeg

In my professional opinion of having fitted two of these to my vehicles - that’s asking to get ripped off. There is also a drain hole in the seam which is supposed to be at the bottom, that looks horizontal. They should point backwards, and typically with an extension that goes through a cutout that exits in the heatshield (assuming usual fitting by drivers step)

His name isn't Bodger the Badger is it?
He hasn't a clue! A silencer should be mounted close to the heater to start with:

oemfitting.PNG

If not fitting oem heater as above the exhaust should terminate like this:

1719861370669.png

Looks like it is a "Yilkar" a Turkish offering that looks like an Eberspacher copy.
Never heard of them till now.

In my professional opinion of having fitted two of these to my vehicles - that’s asking to get ripped off. There is also a drain hole in the seam which is supposed to be at the bottom, that looks horizontal. They should point backwards, and typically with an extension that goes through a cutout that exits in the heatshield (assuming usual fitting by drivers step)
I have above average DIY skills, do you think I can correct this bodge job?

His name isn't Bodger the Badger is it?
He hasn't a clue! A silencer should be mounted close to the heater to start with:

View attachment 248816

If not fitting oem heater as above the exhaust should terminate like this:

View attachment 248817
God knows what else is not connected

Last edited:
As @oldiebut goodie says the silencer should be as close to the heater as possible and if fitted as VW do the exhaust beyond the silencer is short, points towards the centre of the chassis (towards the engine exhaust) and slightly down and backwards.
The combustion air inlet pipe should go upwards from the heater but its open end should again point slighted down and towards the rear of the vehicle, it may or may not have a silencer included in its length.

Worth noting, if that is the correct stainless steel flexible exhaust pipe be careful of the very sharp ends.

Factory fit diagram...

1719869337782.png

Last edited:
If you have a gas drop out in the area of an oem fitment I advise that you don't use the oem exhaust - I found that fumes entered my van through a water heater gas dropout so had to use a sill position to keep them at bay.
That's a good point.

From experience fumes more often than not enter via gas drop outs where ever you put the exhaust unless there is enough breeze under the van to blow them away. However it's so minor I've always accepted it as unavoidable and it is acceptable for the German TUV (MOT but more rigorous) so can't be a real problem.

I have same thoughts on gas dropout. The gas has a smell (methane thiol) added so you can detect parts per billion. Exhaust gas contains lethal CO which is odourless, and you only pick it up if you smell the unburt fuel in it. So dropout in the sealed gas bottle housing good, dropout above the exhaust, under your cooker - questionable.

Back