Difference multivan t6 and t6.1

Ajgabobi

Hello,

I'm buying VW Multivan 6.1, anybody know is t6 engine and t6.1 same engine? I heard that 150hp is better then 204hp?
Please help

tnx

Welcome to the forum @Ajgabobi

Hopefully you're aware that in the UK the EU "Multivan" is known as "Caravelle" - while we have a wide international membership as well we're mostly UK centric so that might help you search for things.

I don't believe the Caravelle/Multivan has ever had specific engines so any threads you see on engines apply across the models - what does differ is the engines available per year as they evolve and also particular engine series get particular common faults.

Early T6s had a Euro 5 engine. As for "better", if you mean more reliable than it seems the more HP a VW engine gets the less reliable it gets. The 204s main disadvantage in the reliability stakes is the fact it is a biturbo with two turbos, a small and large turbo. Presumably so the turbo assist kicks in much faster. But it seems the turbines get dirty and melt?

Presumably so the turbo assist kicks in much faster. But it seems the turbines get dirty and melt?
Yep that's the idea, the smaller mass turbine can spin up faster on acceleration.

Certain BiTurbo engines do seem to have a bad interaction between the small turbine and the particulate emission system - though which one causes the failure is not clear. If you have those engines it pays to be meticulous about your particulate regeneration and about letting the turbo's cool down before turning off but even then issues seem to crop up.

Last edited:
Back