discover media /speed cameras

carlg

204 DSG Highline Kombi MY23
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Does the discover media have speed cameras on the maps ?
I got them on my Rns510 no alerts just camera symbol .

They dont show on this T6 I have but there may be a option in the menu for it.

I think there's a way to do it, read about it but linked to a German VW website so didn't pursue it

Doesn't work in North Wales, the camera vans move around every day :mad:

Im looking into this at the moment
I have the fixed camera database and am looking into the mobile van hotspots but not sure how accurate it will be
It costs to subscribe for the data so i will have a play with it and if it works ok i will release it for VIP members and periodically update it with new camera locations
I am also looking into map updates and if successful will do similar if possible ??

OK so far so good, i have successfully installed the update into my headunit and been for a spin down the road, approached two fixed gatsos and the nav beeped at me in both directions on the approach :thumbsup:

Not sure why but the camera icon is not displaying at the point it should be appearing on the map but i can look into this and make a new icon if necessary

I havent loaded the mobile van sites yet so will have a play with this and the icons and hopefully get something workable to release but will need a little time a busy at work ATM

My Garmin does both fixed and mobile sites as well as speed limit warnings; amazing how quickly the speed limit changes when you pass a speed sign.

How would you guys like to see it released ??
Separate ones for UK/Europe
Separate ones for fixed and mobile or all in together ?
Im wondering if it would get a bit annoying with it beeping everytime you pass one but if your not on nav im assuming it wont do it

My Garmin does both fixed and mobile sites as well as speed limit warnings; amazing how quickly the speed limit changes when you pass a speed sign.
Problem is doing it this way is basically loading camera positions onto map as POIs so your approach speed is not relevant to the alert

Separate UK
Separate fixed
Mobile move too much ,so you will get alerts for no camera

I agree with @carlg about mobiles they will be going off all over the place! round my way they pop up all over, there's no consistency to them at all.

As for fixed uk is fine for me as i will not be leaving the country mine.

Problem is doing it this way is basically loading camera positions onto map as POIs so your approach speed is not relevant to the alert
It alerts you whatever speed you're doing.
The speed limit function just tells you what the limit is and glows red if you exceed it; particularly handy abroad. Also gives GPS speed; surprising how inaccurate some speedos are. The VW one is pretty close, the Subaru one isn't.

Just wanted to point out i havent forgotten about this, got it installed and working just need to sort out a map icon for the camera locations and i will release it

I have this sorted now, looking for a couple people to try it out before releasing it as a VIP member download
Its has a few quirks, because the cameras are listed as POIs you get a notification when you reach a set distance from the POI (camera) so i have had a few instances where i get a speed camera warning for a camera on an adjacent/parallel road.
The notification cannot be changed its a double bong noise and the warnings come through at anytime that the headunit is turned on, you do not need to be on nav or have a route planned
The audio fade and the volume of the warning is the same volume you set for route guidance as per normal navigation alerts

Last edited:
I have this sorted now, looking for a couple people to try it out before releasing it as a VIP member download
Its has a few quirks, because the cameras are listed as POIs you get a notification when you reach a set distance from the POI (camera) so i have had a few instances where i get a speed camera warning for a camera on an adjacent/parallel road.
The notification cannot be changed its a double bong noise and the warnings come through at anytime that the headunit is turned on, you do not need to be on nav or have a route planned
The audio fade and the volume of the warning is the same volume you set for route guidance as per normal navigation alerts
I will give it a try @Pauly

Back