Distressing find! dip stick loose

dErZ

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Took the family to Wales on the weekend, we were doing an Easter egg hunt near the van and my son said are there any eggs under the bonnet, so I popped it open and was shocked at what I saw.. the dip stick was out and there was oil all over that side of the engine... the last time it was touched was when VW serviced it (Oil service) 1000miles ago. So I called them up and its booked in to be investigated. I reseated the dip stick and it didnt come loose (the roads were terrible in Wales just as bad as Surreys) so dont think it was knocked out. Oil level was still near the top so not sure if they over filled it and the pressure popped it or they just didnt seat it properly.... anyone ever had a dip stick free itself?

oil.JPG

I can’t think it would unseat itself it takes a fair bit of force to pull mine out.
Probably didn’t seat it properly which is shabby for a dealership
I left the filler cap off once and that spewed a bit of oil. I guess it happens.

As long as they clean up the engine bay, I dont want oil dripping onto my new driveway (granted it got to get through the undertray)

All life lessons I suppose, we did a walk around before and after but I didnt think to check the obvious, the van hasnt overheated so dont think any damage has been done.

I had the same at motus vw derby last year, sprayed a fine mist of oil all over the rhs of the engine. Dipstick at dealer not fully inserting Dipstick :rolleyes:

Just be glad they didn't wash your van with some fairy liquid and 80 grit sandpaper.
That's standard practice for a PDI clean isn't it?

They denied it :mad:. Fortunately it wiped off with degreasant but what little faith I had in them has long gone
Could be worse-mine went in for DMF and they didn’t tighten up the bolts on the centre prop shaft mount. Luckily I drove to Cosmic the next day to have my heater fitted and they spotted that it was held in by one loose bolt-the other presumably on the M1 somewhere. Close to a disaster.

Could be worse-mine went in for DMF and they didn’t tighten up the bolts on the centre prop shaft mount. Luckily I drove to Cosmic the next day to have my heater fitted and they spotted that it was held in by one loose bolt-the other presumably on the M1 somewhere. Close to a disaster.
That's shocking, motus by any chance?

They denied it :mad:. Fortunately it wiped off with degreasant but what little faith I had in them has long gone
Can I ask what you used to tidy up the engine bay, if they dont admit fault then I'll clean it up myself.

Wow that stuffs not cheap. Thanks for the advice.

Last week I had to clean up a burst oil pipe on a tractor, I used this stuff - brilliant value for money, did a great job and it was delivered the day after I ordered it.

Back