Double to single passenger seat and leg room

reeboka

Hi all. New here! On the cusp of getting a T6 but the double front seats are a huge issue with them not being able to be slid backwards. My partner is 6 ft 5 so his knees are on the dash. If we changed to a single seat, would the seat be able to slide backwards to give more leg room?

Hi - welcome to the forum.

I've no experience of the double passenger seat, but the singles certainly slide back and forth, as per a standard car seat. The only exception would be a panel van with a bulkhead immediately behind the front seats, as this would constrain rearward movement. I presume, though, it's a camper or a day-van that you're after, so no bulkhead to worry about.

Hi - welcome to the forum.

I've no experience of the double passenger seat, but the singles certainly slide back and forth, as per a standard car seat. The only exception would be a panel van with a bulkhead immediately behind the front seats, as this would constrain rearward movement. I presume, though, it's a camper or a day-van that you're after, so no bulkhead to worry about.
Thank you so much for replying. Yes it is a camper conversion we're looking to do so the bulkhead would be coming out. We just need the seat to basically go as far back as possible - definitely further back than the fixed double seats are situated.

Reactions: Bav
I would advise sourcing a base van with twin captain seats already installed, rather than looking to swap out a double for a single. The swap is eminently doable, but single front passenger seats are extremely sought after, so a used one commands a premium price (~£1k compared with a couple of hundred for a double) and they're not easy to find.

If you can visit a van centre or hire centre and try and sit in a van with twin singles and see what you think. VW Van Centres will likely still have some California's in that will be twin singles.

I'd second @Bav advice on trying to find one already fitted, not only are they sought after but if you want them to match the existing seat trim that can be an issue restricting your seat choice further unless you plan on getting them retrimmed.

From experience - I'm a bit shorter but yes, the captains passenger seat will give a lanky streak more leg room than a fixed double-seat once you've removed that bulkhead.

Back