DPF regen questions/concerns

John A

VCDS User
I have a bit of an odd one, not related to my T6 but to my 2017 A6.

Tonight, I have interrupted a regen - this is probably the third or fourth in a row, where the car is idling at 1,000 RPM and the fan runs on when I switch the car off.

I checked measuring blocks on the way home which shows a calculated soot mass of 6.41g and measured at -5.31g (which doesn't look right to me).
The distance since last regen is approx 300km (or about 180 miles) but there is nothing in the measuring blocks that suggests the car is doing a regen.

Do I have a fault? There are no DTCs but I got 23.8mpg on the way home because clearly, there is some additional use of fuel to try and raise the temperature, but it doesn't actually look like it's doing anything.

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't worry about it for now.
Me either.
We have the same thing as OP with our Golf. It’s now on 109k miles (10 years old) and never had a problem with the DPF despite getting used for pretty short journeys too often and despite being switched off during regens.
Hopefully I haven’t jinxed it!

Have you tried letting it complete it's regen,,?

At the end of the journey, just sit there at idle, the regen should finish after 15,mind or so... Or the revs will drop back down again.

More info..

I checked measuring blocks on the way home which shows a calculated soot mass of 6.41g and measured at -5.31g (which doesn't look right to me).
The distance since last regen is approx 300km (or about 180 miles)
Would be normal for T6 when it's at the end of regen cycle -then the distance would reset to 0 km.

there is nothing in the measuring blocks that suggests the car is doing a regen.
Please post engine blockmap data so we can have a look into what's available - as below

At the end of the journey, just sit there at idle, the regen should finish after 15,mind or so... Or the revs will drop back down again.
Don't know the details about A6 but e.g. T6 doesn't finish DPF regen at standstill...

From observation using VAG-DPF (not the extensive data logging of @mmi) I'm certain that a T6.1 doesn't complete a regen at idle but gives up at around the 5 minute mark.

I still let mine run on though as my assumption (hope?) is that controlled pause to regen is not going to be dumping diesel into the oil.

While I take @whodat s point a DPF regen approach of injecting fuel to raise the exhaust temp (rather than an additive nearer the DPF) coupled with a design for long oil change cycles can have some nasty edge cases for folks wanting to run engines long term, so a little awareness is useful.

Reactions: mmi
Back