Drive away awning on hardstanding

Ivor

Hi all,

We've got a drive away awning with a sewn in groundsheet and it works well for us if we're on grass pitches of course. However, we'd like to use it on hardstandings especially when the weather is against us as it's a bit of a nightmare dragging in mud between us and the dog etc (just had a wet and muddy few days in Cheddar). I was thinking of getting some interlocking rubber mats, 10mm thick and using them on the gravel hardstandings underneath the groundsheet (See pic attached), to protect against stone damage. I've had a google and can't see that many have done this. Anyone on here done similar? Would love to hear peoples thoughts?

Cheers in advance

G

Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 19.56.03.png

Or you could just buy a footprint to protect your groundsheet - less faff, lighter and folds away smaller, though perhaps not as springy if you're thinking of ballroom dancing on it. ;)

Yep.

We've used the foam mats.... On hard standing, to stop any small stones from puncturing the ground sheet.... And yeah we used the extra footprint as well.

It's comfy too walk on and keeps the cold out, but as @Bav says it can be agro to put down, mainly the wind gets them while getting them together. But if you can get it down quick and get the awning rning on it, it's great.

We also used them to bridge the gap between the van in the tunnel section... But have since moved onto outdoor matting as it's better with rain water allowing it to drain.

Other option was foot print, then awning, then I inner carpet...

we’ve got one, and I think it would probably stop rips etc but can’t say I’m convinced it would stop damage from sharp stones. That’s why we typically book grass pitches. I think the mats would make it much nicer to walk on, or maybe dance

Reactions: Bav
Tbh we only do hard standing over autumn/winter stays when the grass is to boggy.... And normally get EHU too.

Summer time always grass pitch.... Of grid.

But those foam mats are brilliant for kneeling or lying on when you are doing work on the van, say on the drive way etc... So a double use case.

Bought mine from Halfords.

Fyi, they are also very good for putting under the 10ft Intex swimming pool in the back garden. if we get a hot summer.... Again protects the bottom from any pin pricks.

Footprint under awning , foam mats inside and then carpet on top .
We've also cut squares of foam mat for under the 'feet' of the inflatable awning to protect these .

Similar to @Dellmassive I use them under a sturdy groundsheet when setting up the Lazyspa hot tub - the spares are really useful when working on vehicles on the drive too.

They'll take up a good chunk of space I'd have thought.

Before I switched to these I did use some cheap end of season roll foam sleeping mats - but they were a pain to lay down in any kind of wind and I'd assume would be the same for your use.

We use them at the caravan, in the awning. Bought on eBay. Even cheaper than Screwfix, despite arriving by courier.
Having done a quick eBay search I have found that they now come in all sorts of colours and other "wonderful" finishes including wood or grass effect!! No need to stick with boring black.

Well…
Thank you to @Ivor for the thread and all the helpful, knowledgeable peeps for your replies! It’s great at my age to have a ‘school day’;
I’d never heard of awning footprints.

I bought two 2x1m lengths of black 15mm Plastazote LD33 closed cell foam to go under our awning.

Then a cheap tarpaulin to ‘save’ the foam from getting muddy!

Thank you all for your insights,
Andy

just got me thinking. . . .

this 10mm foam stuff might be good as a filler for the roof ridges on the T6.?

for when fitting the flexible solar panels. . .

1716983900287.png

I've not measures the ridges yet. . . ?

but if they not filled in when fitting the panel, you will get premature failure. . . so maybe these foam pads may work?

1716983954687.png

see here about the importance of filling in the ridges. . . .

1716984010092.png

not to sure on the exact definition of:

"If the surface is uneven, it must be suitably prepared prior to installation, with all gaps being filled in For example, spaces between ridges on a vehicle roof must first be filled in before the solar panel is mounted."

ridge gaps filled with what exactly? . . . . . cream cheese? body filler? lump of wood? styro-foam? - im just gonna leave them open. the panel feels ridged enough i think.

my plan is to leave the ridge gaps open to the air . . . . . . or more than likley ill just run an additional bead of skilaflex down them lonways to give some additional support.

i think the main issue is when people fully-seal-all-round which causes air pockets and water ingress that can heat-up in extreme weather and bubble up the panel . . . . . . im hoping by leaving the lower ridges open, and at the rear that this will not be an issue. sealing all rounds seems to make sense . . . but there are loads of YT vids that shows water will 100% end up getting in there.

Rule 1: water will get in
Rule 2: ensure the water can get out

The only thing I've ever seen that's effective at being long term waterproofing is fully potted electronics. Electronics with conformal coating comes a reasonable second but the weakness is always the connections as they can be sealed.

Everything else no matter how hard you try the natural cycle of hot days and cool nights will eventually suck damp air through any seals.

I’ve come across suggestions to only seal the leading edges, to reduce crud entering whilst driving.
What would then happen when parking nose down on a wet afternoon that then freezes overnight?!?
I would just seal panel well to the tops of the roof ribs and wash out with hosepipe at each van clean.
If it then sounded like a demented version of the Zadar, Croatia, sea organ whilst driving think I’d revert back to portable!

Back