Drivers side step insert filling with water

EmH

Hi, I've not been a VW owner for long so apologies if this is a silly question... the step insert on my drivers side door seems to keep filling with water every time it rains. I open the door to get in and all the water seems to rush from the door itself into the step insert. This doesn't happen on the passenger side at all. I've got a 2020 T6.1 which has the diesel heater fit - which I think is what the vent is for on the step insert itself, so assuming this isn't supposed to happen as it looks like the water is fairly close to entering the vent. Has anyone had this before, is it normal, and what should I do? Thanks!

tempImageWMDgWR.jpg

Hi, I've not been a VW owner for long so apologies if this is a silly question... the step insert on my drivers side door seems to keep filling with water every time it rains. I open the door to get in and all the water seems to rush from the door itself into the step insert. This doesn't happen on the passenger side at all. I've got a 2020 T6.1 which has the diesel heater fit - which I think is what the vent is for on the step insert itself, so assuming this isn't supposed to happen as it looks like the water is fairly close to entering the vent. Has anyone had this before, is it normal, and what should I do? Thanks!

View attachment 250832
Yes - the vent is for the night heater to draw cold air.
Have you had the door card off to fit aftermarket speakers or removed the internal ally piece to install sound deadening to the door skin?
This is the most likely route of water ingress into the step.
I had exactly the same issue on my T6. For me it was the grey squidgy silicon type seal that had failed. Ended up replacing the full ally piece with new OEM and had no problems since. It comes with the grey squidgy seal pre applied to the outer edges.
The bolts on the ally piece don’t need to be overtightened.

View attachment 250832
It may also be worth checking 1st that the hose / duct is still fitted ok to the back of the vent and the water isn’t coming from the vent itself.

I used to get this when parking on any kind of mild left slope, in my case it was water entering between the door glass and the horizontal seal near the front of the seal/just behind the wing mirror, the front few inches of mine had moved away from the glass so all the rain water running down the glass went straight inside the door

Does the van have roof bars? They can leak via the fixings (but water likely to be under the floor covering)

Yes - the vent is for the night heater to draw cold air.
Have you had the door card off to fit aftermarket speakers or removed the internal ally piece to install sound deadening to the door skin?
This is the most likely route of water ingress into the step.
I had exactly the same issue on my T6. For me it was the grey squidgy silicon type seal that had failed. Ended up replacing the full ally piece with new OEM and had no problems since. It comes with the grey squidgy seal pre applied to the outer edges.
The bolts on the ally piece don’t need to be overtightened.
Thank you! I’ve only had the van for a few weeks so haven’t fitted anything additional to it. Taking it back to VW where I collected it from and will see what they suggest. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

I’d also add that aftermarket door speakers can cause this - where water that would normally drain from the bottom of the door is diverted into the cab from around the speaker. There’s a post about that somewhere on here - creating a waterproof ‘flap’ behind the speaker (using dodomat) was the suggested solution I think..

Thread 'Aftermarket Speakers, Water Ingress, VIDEO'
Aftermarket Speakers, Water Ingress, VIDEO

Last edited:
Hi, did you manage to find the source of the problem for this as I have the exact same thing happening. Been in to Vw Liverpool and still not fixed. ( they said they replaced the door seal, not sure which one! )

Hi, I took mine to VW and they did a ‘water ingress test’ (put it under a hose for a few hours) and confirmed there was a leak. They’ve said it’s a door seal that’s the problem and they’re ordering me a new seal in. Once it’s fitted and it rains again I’ll report back as to whether this is the issue or not. I’m not sure what else it could be really, as there are no alterations to the door or retrofitted speakers or anything. So am crossing my fingers this new seal fixes it.

Hi. Thanks for that. It’s in Vw again next week for them to try again so will check exactly what they did last time. Same as you I can’t see that it’s coming in from the window seal as nothing extra fitted on mine either. Will report back after the visit

Reactions: EmH
Hi. Thanks for that. It’s in Vw again next week for them to try again so will check exactly what they did last time. Same as you I can’t see that it’s coming in from the window seal as nothing extra fitted on mine either. Will report back after the visit
Please do! Thanks

Hi. Was back in with VW the other week, just waiting for a decent downpour to double check all ok. This time they replaced the window regulator and it seems to have done the trick. All dry where previously there would have been plenty of water ingress. Hope this helps

Hi. Was back in with VW the other week, just waiting for a decent downpour to double check all ok. This time they replaced the window regulator and it seems to have done the trick. All dry where previously there would have been plenty of water ingress. Hope this helps
Thank you! I took mine in as well and they left it under a hose for 3 hours and confirmed ‘there was a leak!’. Something to do with the door seal. It’s in today for a replacement seal so will report back when I know if that’s done the trick or not! Thanks.

Back