DSG struggling when reversing uphill

Dazn

VIP Member
Hi all,

So we’ve had our 2018 T6 T32 150bhp Kombi LWB DSG about 2weeks now, I think it seems to struggle a little when reversing uphill there doesn’t seem to be any slippage from the DSG.
Is this something I need to be concerned about or is it normal given it’s only a 2.0 diesel?

I have discussed this in detail over the years, in my opinion you can get 'tight' gearboxes and 'loose' gearboxes, trust me when i say you dont want a loose one, they are very difficult in certain circumstances

My van had a tight gearbox and as soon as you let of the throttle in forwards or reverse it would start creeping even when reversing uphill etc
I had a courtesy caravelle for a couple weeks when mine was in the garage under warranty and it had a very loose gearbox and was terrible almost undrivable trying to park outside my house at the time as it involved reversing up a steep slope while turning to park facing across the slope
The van would not move until the revs hit around 2500 then all of a sudden it would grab and take off backwards very suddenly coupled with the incline disappearing and often involved either loads of on/off throttle whilst not moving or leaping backwards and over shooting the space i was aiming at, ended up on the pavement on more than one occasion !

It’s fine in the forward gears, sports mode it’s a bit jumpy and sometimes over revs, my wife thinks it reverses fine, whereas I think it struggles a bit.
So what’s the best course of action then Pauly?

AFAIK there isn’t one, you can reset the adaptions on the gearbox which clears its memory but it will readapt over 500 miles and in my experience always end up where it started, saying that all the ones I have driven have been consistent in forwards and reverse ??

So how do I go about getting the gearbox reset? DSG is a new thing to me, I have a VW automatic in my Touareg but that one is a readapt box too.

It’s normally done with odis or vcds and a laptop but think there’s a way to do it yourself manually, I think you hold the throttle down and key in for 30 secs but 100%

@Loz knows the procedure I think

The Procedure, haven’t tried myself

If it helps, I have a 2019 T32 LWB DSG and reverse is sluggish to pick up/get going. When it does get going it feels underpowered and I've had trouble reversing up slopes, which I've just learned to actively avoid.

That said, I love DSG and would never want to back to a manual.

It’s normally done with odis or vcds and a laptop but think there’s a way to do it yourself manually, I think you hold the throttle down and key in for 30 secs but 100%

@Loz knows the procedure I think
It’s turn on ignition but don’t start, hold the throttle down (past the kick down point), wait 30 seconds, release throttle. Turn of ignition, turn on and start.
However, the best fix is to have TVS drivability map done on the DSG.

Last edited:
I find using my left foot on the brake and using it a bit like you would a clutch makes things much smoother once you get used to it, I've got a TVS remap done and while that helps I still use the left foot thing for when I need finer control.

Back