EGR Cooler or Cracked Head - 204 4Motion DSG 2018

EWDavies

Hi Guys,

New to the forum as a contributor but have found the threads immensely useful over the years, finally time to get involved!

We have a 2018 204 DSG 4Motion Kombi in our workshop at the moment that is losing coolant. I've read a few threads on T6s with this issue and once a physical leak is ruled out, the two main protagonists seems to be either an issue with the EGR cooler or a cracked cylinder head. We have coolant loss with no visible leaks, oil level appears steady, no smoking from exhaust, no driving issues, no lights on dash or fault codes. I am looking to see what the difference in symptoms a van is showing with either a faulty EGR cooler or cracked head. We are of course open to it being a different issue but these two seem to be the most common from reading other threads.

The van did have a very sooted up inlet manifold which was bringing on an engine management light a month or so ago, this was then replaced and cured light.

Look forward to hearing from you guys!

Reactions: mmi
How much coolant is being lost over what period /usage? Have you ruled out head gasket? My old Bitdi had a similar issue which started off with slight coolant loss and got worse over time. Turned out to be a tiny failure of the head gasket. The engine ran okay with no visible signs or any other issues. Any fault codes showing up?

Egr cooler and charge cooler are possible locations that the coolant can leak into the inlet and be injested.

The garage can smoke test or pressure test both these coolers to see where the leak is.

Back