EGR removel

Dj22y

VIP Member
Is there a video removal guide for and egr?

Mines a 2016 102 t28.

I've read the manuals on here but none the wiser

Thanks

will give you an idea but doesn't show the unbolting process, there is another but I can't find it right now..

I did it recently, as a DIY you will need a coolant vacuum filler and a compressor of at least 50L to run it as the cooling system needs to be vacuum filled.

There is a very difficult bolt and nut under the cooler that requires access from underneath.

You need a socket set, 3/8 + 1/4 with torx upto t30 and XZN 8 and 10mm of various lengths.

You must also have a 5mm socket.

If you are replacing the cooler don't order the same PN, there has been a revision.

My head is fried. One difficult bolt and nut under the cooler. Well the bolt was a pain but my god alive that nut is an absolute womble. Can’t get anything on it because the steel pipe bracket is in the way. How? Why? what do I need to do? Any ideas? The only video I’ve found on YouTube is in German, not really too much of an issue, but the only nut he doesn’t show you that he undoes is that one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My head is fried. One difficult bolt and nut under the cooler. Well the bolt was a pain but my god alive that nut is an absolute womble. Can’t get anything on it because the steel pipe bracket is in the way. How? Why? what do I need to do? Any ideas? The only video I’ve found on YouTube is in German, not really too much of an issue, but the only nut he doesn’t show you that he undoes is that one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I’ve never done the job that you are attempting but from a life time experience working in confined spaces with machinery there are a few tips.
1. Don’t waste your time repeating what doesn’t work.
2. Sometimes there is no better option than removing more components (more man hours) as it works out quicker.
3. Don’t scrimp on tools, poor quality tools can be bulkier than premium quality, hence they don’t fit.
4. Occasionally you need to damage components to get access to others. ie cut stuff out to access what’s inaccessible. For a few quid extra it can speed up the job.
5. No job is impossible because somebody has done it before!

The nut is easy once you know how, its very difficult otherwise and takes time, I could get a spanner on it from underneath. You only get about 1/8th of a turn at a time. You just need to crack it loose then use a long screwdriver on the flats to spin it off the stud.

I don't remember the nut being blocked by a bracket though - got a pic?

I remember the screw above is blocked by a bracket and is best accessed from above with aid of a mirror.

When installing I suggest a drop of superglue to hold the screw onto the torx bit.

Send pics if you need further info, happy to assist

Back