Eye bolts in t6 gutter channel

Avan

Hello,

Before we decide if we need a roof rack or an awning etc. I am looking for a cheap solution to provide a fixing on the van which could easily be removed should we get one.
I want to put stainless eyebolts into the blanking nuts in the roof gutter, initially to connect a semi supported hanging rail for wetsuits, but I'm sure I'd find other uses for it.

I thought a glazing sucker would be OK as the main support for the drying rack but a bit more fiddly and have something else to store in the van, but with eyebolts connected to the roof I could potentially fix a tarp ridge line to a tree for shelter at other times...

Do you think this will cause a problem, thought I'd seal thread with ptfe and washer if need be?
Or would a cargo rail be needed to help spread the weight/pull on the thread inserts on the van? The black rail on the image is out of stock and more than I'd like to spend really or does anyone know of similar tracks?

Thanks for any suggestions/answers.
Alex

Screenshot_20240810-100249.png

Screenshot_20240810-101502.png

There is a good thread here around making roof mountings as waterproof as possible - as they are internal nuts you need to seal to both the roof and the thread:

I don't think they are really designed for the use you are thinking of as they expect loads to spread across all 4/5

For your use I'd mount a C rail in the roof gutter and then you can add all sorta of Kador strip accessories.

This is mine:

SWMBO open water swims and her wetsuit is quite heavy when wet - I think that amount of sideways load on an eye bolt on a roof channel fixing would be too much. Even if a line attached to something else is sharing the load.

Last edited:
Hello,
Thank you for your replies and usual information and links.

I thought it might be too much pressure on the thread insert, I read on here someone loosing a retaining clip above the head lining, I can do without that.

I have gone for a half way house. 2no. 880mm lengths of C track, one for each back side, so can park up whichever way we need and hang off both sides. As well as replacement rubber washer bolts to connect them with, will also pop on some ptfe.

We have had the van a year and put in a small bed and turntables at the front for the kids. We'll see if we need an awning with use, but have my eye on an oztent foxwing and like the days on track racks.

Thanks again
Alex

Reactions: CAB
Here is the 1st generation of the drying rack.

The main rack is an end of an old cot but will fit all of our suits well. I'll probably get some carabiners for the guy lines so I can take them off for storage so they aren't dangling around and put some padding against the van where the rope touches the paint should it get windy.

I left the factory washers on the roof which sit under the rail then new stainless bolts with washers and a little round of ptfe.
Some photos. PXL_20240814_203146052.jpgPXL_20240814_200927627.jpgPXL_20240814_201203147.jpgPXL_20240814_201407880.NIGHT.jpgPXL_20240814_202833505.jpgPXL_20240814_202850743.jpgPXL_20240814_203146052.jpg

If you get the bonded rubber washers mentioned on the thread I linked they'll probably work better.

They're slightly dished so they keep pressing down and the rubber is oversized on the thread so it seals the thread. Just tighten them until the washer goes almost flat :thumbsup:

For the curve of the roof look at "helicopter tape" that's usually used to protect bike frames. Essentially a clear paint protection film but like sellotape. I'm going to be putting some on mine around where the awning rubs.

If you get the bonded rubber washers mentioned on the thread I linked they'll probably work better.

They're slightly dished so they keep pressing down and the rubber is oversized on the thread so it seals the thread. Just tighten them until the washer goes almost flat :thumbsup:

For the curve of the roof look at "helicopter tape" that's usually used to protect bike frames. Essentially a clear paint protection film but like sellotape. I'm going to be putting some on mine around where the awning rubs.
Thanks, I'll look at helicopter tape.

I have used bonded washers, I bought the short stitches and steel rail and 'their' stainless bolts and bonded washers. I was wary of tightening the nuts too much incase I stripped the nut insert or pulling it loose, perhaps I'll risk another half turn. For the paint protection I have some silicone tube from a coffee machine repair I might slip that over the guy lines too.

You might notice a theme of me trying to keep this project cheap.

Back