Factory fitted alarm in T6.1 Startline

admrobrts

VIP Member
Hello all

Longtime lurker but finally signed up as I now have a T6.1. I've read and learnt a lot from the forum over the years and it's been super helpful in planning my purchase and build. :)

I took delivery of my van last week. It's a T6.1 Startline T28 Panel Van. The plan is for a day van type conversion for weekend cycling getaways.

I have a question regarding the alarm. I'm assuming my van has the "Business Pack" as it has rear parking sensors and air conditioning. So it should have the "Anti-theft alarm with interior monitoring" but I can't figure out if it does. I'm guessing there might have been the option to only install parking sensors and and AC without the Business Pack?? How would I confirm if an alarm is installed or I find a build report for my van?

There was no option to cherrypick individual items from the business pack. If you have the business pack you will have the alarm.

Thanks @Sasquatch

That was what I assumed. So how do I confirm the alarm is actually working? When I lock the van with the key fob the red LED in the door blinks. I tried locking myself in the van, then moving about and trying to open the doors to trigger the alarm but nothing happened... you can't unlock the van manually from inside if locked with the key fob.

Thanks @Sasquatch

That was what I assumed. So how do I confirm the alarm is actually working? When I lock the van with the key fob the red LED in the door blinks. I tried locking myself in the van, then moving about and trying to open the doors to trigger the alarm but nothing happened... you can't unlock the van manually from inside if locked with the key fob.
I've not checked in any great detail but I think the alarm is of the permiter variety so would only activate is a door is opened, but im halpy to be corrected if someone has greater knowledge.

Deadlocking prevents Johnny Scumbag from breaking a window and reaching in to open a door via the interior handle.

Even if it had glass break sensors - which I don't think it does, albeit I've not paid the matter a great deal of attention - flapping about like John Inman wouldn't necessarily set them off as thats not what they're designed to detect.

Fortunately the most excellent @admrobrts has confirmed the presence of the alarm. To test it is difficult without jimmying a door open, which isn't easy with anti burst strikers, or attacking the sliding door (for obvious reasons I won't describe the process, although it's fairly common knowledge.) A decent OBD reader, one capable of reading all the sub systems, will confirm whether are are any fault codes stored, although a faulty alarm probably won't set in the first place. If you're seeing the flashing light and no signs of misbehaviour youre almost certainly golden.

The standard immobiliser is Thatcham II standard so decent enough if youre careful with the security of your keys. Get yourself a Disklok and you're about as safe as it's possible to be without hiring Chuck Norris to sleep in the van overnight.

Edit - and the alarm itself is Thatcham I standard.

Last edited:
Back